Ogelthorpe 2013

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Triple C, with the decrease in doe days it appears everyone has or is staying at home. Not alot of traffic and alot of Deer Camps look abandoned, I have passed the last two weeks while heading out to the woods. I bagged a Nice 8 point yesterday afternoon at 440pm, after the front passed through, while watching the rising moon. He was beaten up pretty bad and gorged by something alot bigger then him.

very nice buck........... congrats.

Triple C

Congrats on a beautiful buck bro! Ditto on the "beat up bucks". A few on our farm have taken a serious whoopin' this year.

Buford_Dawg

Nice buck there...

Good to see a late season buck roaming around. We saw several small bucks walking this last week, but what few does we have are nocturnal now. I was invited as a guest on a lease in clouds creek area this last weekend and let me tell you, they have it going on, lots of deer over there as they do not allow any doe kills and they have taken some very nice bucks this year. Their thought is the neighbors shoot enough does and they want as many doe as possible on their lease during rut to bring in the bucks from other properties. Seems to work for them.

BigBuckFinder

Had Doe movement late morning, five feeding together through hardwood bottom up into a grown over field. I moved to different area of property about 1230 and jumped a large group of bedded deer in grown over clear cut. Bring on the Doe days I am twiddling my fingers here. Should took my 22 never seen so many squirrels as I did today.

Triple C

Bought my grandson a sort of high end pellet gun today for Christmas. Gonna definitely let him thin a few tree rats after Christmas and hopefully I'll sling an arrow or 2 at a couple of does in the bowels of OC.

BigBuckFinder

I think I am going to start doing the same Triple C, let my five year old kill a couple spookey squirrels as he calls them. Been looking for the old metal squirrel barker my dad used when I was young I cant find them anywhere.

Buford_Dawg

After Xmas report

We saw a few does on our Sandy Cross club. Several does were shot at and missed. Heard of one nice 8 pointer killed on the property. Had a trailcam stolen :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe I am hanging it up for the season, it has been a good one once again.

If anyone is aware of land available for lease or needs a member for a club in the North OC area, please PM me. I strongly prefer a "No brown its down" type club and like some type of buck regulations to protect the young bucks. I would like to hunt 2 clubs in the same general area.

frdstang90

Had a good weekend. My son and best friend went down Friday afternoon and it was Saturday late that me and my wife went down(first time for her this season:fine:). My best friend killed a busted up 8 that was a nice deer even though it had been busted up so bad. Everybody saw deer every outing and it was a good way to close out the season.

Triple C

Not an Oglethorpe kill but a fellow Oglethorpe hunter connects on AZ javelina. Just got a txt from my son with a pic of javelina he took today. He's near Tucson, AZ chasing Coues deer and javelina.
Brooks Javelina.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Coues deer

I've always wanted to go after both Coues and Mulies. Hopefully someday. Nice picture CCC. We spent the day in OC chasing bushytails. It was really too cold for much action but we ended up with 13. All in the afternoon as the morning was just way too cold. The kids love this type of hunting, much more action that sitting for 3 hours in a deerstand :bounce: .

Attachments

• 010414 squirrel hunt.JPG
    010414 squirrel hunt.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 523

Triple C

That's a bunch of happy young-ins! Good lookin' dog too. Squirrel huntin = great memories for a kid! Spent most afternoons in the fall chasing bushy tails with my uncle when I was growing up. Got my grandson a cool pellet gun for Christmas to chase the bushy tails. His dad and I took it out for a test run after sighting in the scope and took a bushy tail.

Arrow Flinger

I ended my Oglethorpe Season taking a good friend of mine that is in a Wheel Chair to Genflo. He hunts off a 4 wheeler and is a great hunter and shot. He killed a 120 lb doe at 405 yards. This was a true 405 yard shot checked with a rangefinder. But....he does compete in 1000 yard competition so that was a chip shot for him.

Attachments

• 100_0375.jpg
    100_0375.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 476

dawg7478

That's our club!

Genflo is my club-very glad we were able to help this fellow get a deer. Wow-405 yds.-that's awesome. What was he shooting?

Arrow Flinger

Mine too! He was shooting a custom 8mm necked to 7mm. He was directly across the road from the back tower and killed the deer to the left at the bend in the road toward the hut.

Triple C

September is only 7 months away…Be flinging arrows before u know it!!! Got turkey season coming up to help us along. Hope all OC hunters are working hard to make it even better in 2014! :fine:

jbird1

Anybody have any Turkey reports? A couple of us went for the youth opener. My 11 yr. old and I had one hammering at first light within' 100 yds. I think he is hooked for life!