Private trophy bass lakes?

HMT Atlanta

Anyone know good private lakes around the state (or neighboring) for bass? Looking for an ego boosting trip...somewhere that doesn't require bass PhDs :)

mtr3333

Banned
HMT feed you ego however you like. A good old dose of big pond bass and a picture will do you good. I used to hunt for ponds and stop to ask permission. You never know who will say yes until you knock.

Fishlipps Revisited

if I have a bad trip (or trips), I see it as a failure on my part....and, I prefer to deal with it by trying to figure out what I didn't do....and, it makes me work that much harder....and, when I DO figure it out, THAT is what boosts my ego..

but, whatever floats your boat..

sinclair1

Anyone know good private lakes around the state (or neighboring) for bass? Looking for an ego boosting trip...somewhere that doesn't require bass PhDs :)
I don't know if they even exist anymore, but I was invited to the CW Matthews lakes about twenty five years ago. I don't mention the catch because it didn't take skill, but would kill a few sig lines in the one day catch.:pop:
Before he did construction, he built ponds for people.

mtr3333

Banned
I don't know if they even exist anymore, but I was invited to the CW Matthews lakes about twenty five years ago. I don't mention the catch because it didn't take skill, but would kill a few sig lines in the one day catch.:pop:

Eating cheese makes you smart?

NCummins

I get what you are saying. Some of the best fishing around here is in company ponds that are on lock down 24/7. One is an old chemical plant that closed in the early 90's. Friend of mine caught 3 ten pound fish and a few 5 pounders in a couple of hours. It is illegal, but I sure would like to catch some big ones.
I mean i would rather catch a 6lb fish in a big lake than a couple 10lb fish in a pond......but how often do you get to go toe to toe with a 10lb bass?
Hope you find a nice trophy pond man.
I'd say start knocking on doors.

So lips are you available for private lessons? Seems that you have the answers.....

you should just fish rocky mtn pfa, good luck.

I know of one personally in the lower part of middle ga but they are not taking members.

if you're interested in catching a really big bass you'll be wasting your time fishing big lakes in this state. I'd focus on small impoundments from farm ponds to the electric only lakes. the prespawn is your best bet.

Fishlipps Revisited

So lips are you available for private lessons? Seems that you have the answers.....

I have the answers for me...if catching fish from a managed pond boosts your ego, then, by all means, knock yourself out.....

that's kinda like the Houston Texans playing a PeeWee football team to make themselves feel better about last season...

I prefer a bit more of a challenge myself...

sounds like you caught it on live bait which isn't a big deal because I've seen artificials outproduce shiners firsthand, 5 of my 8 over ten lbs required a great deal of persistence and patience. the others I'm proud of the permission I had.:cool:

catching giant bass is 75% or more about location. Having access to the waters like you mentioned above is the real difference. It's also not "just" about ego, it's about appreciating giant bass. Championing the fish and possibly the body of water that produced it.

tell us about your live bait high fence escapades, photos too, I'm sure it would make an interesting post.

I have the answers for me...if catching fish from a managed pond boosts your ego, then, by all means, knock yourself out.....

that's kinda like the Houston Texans playing a PeeWee football team to make themselves feel better about last season...

I prefer a bit more of a challenge myself...

you've caught a LOT of your fish from a dnr managed small lake, many of them this year. How are you any different?

fish hawk

Bass Master

HMT Atlanta

Fish hawk you are the man...Those are some outstanding specimens in those pix, the fish are nice as well.

The intent of the question was pretty simple, just to see if anyone knew of a place where I could have better odds. Not much different than a hunting camp or other managed situation. Is a 90 lb spike off state land better than a 180 lb 8 point off camp land?

Yeah, agree that this is a never ending learning curve and pulling a big one from Lanier or other lake is more challenging and more rewarding but there are other considerations like time and work that preclude that.

Seth carter

Banned
Fish hawk you are the man...Those are some outstanding specimens in those pix, the fish are nice as well.

The intent of the question was pretty simple, just to see if anyone knew of a place where I could have better odds. Not much different than a hunting camp or other managed situation. Is a 90 lb spike off state land better than a 180 lb 8 point off camp land?

Yeah, agree that this is a never ending learning curve and pulling a big one from Lanier or other lake is more challenging and more rewarding but there are other considerations like time and work that preclude that.
Any deer is a good one :yeah:

WOODSWIZE

Look up website for Donavans bass fishing club in Marion, AL -I got to go for free one time. I caught and released 5 that day over 6 lbs and lost a couple hawgs. Fun day.

T.P.

Banned
Our deer club used to have about 25 acres worth of beaver ponds that as far as I know had never been fished until I tried it one day during turkey season in the mid 90's. My buddies didn't believe me so we went back the next weekend and caught in the neighborhood of 100 with who knows how many going 6-10lbs.

The pond couldn't have been more that 4' deep in the deepest spot and during the summer the water was HOT! But the fish were as pretty as any I'd ever seen, jet black almost. Then one day the dam busted and that was it. The beavers haven't fixed it since.