This Forum

Tmpr111

Well, it's just not the same. Activity (esp for this time of year) has been way down it seems. Aside from the Captain's wonderful stories, and the occasional big bass pic n story, there just isn't much on here anymore.

I can't remember a past time when the first page still had threads lingering from 2-3 days back. It just really stinks - the information and knowledge that was once being passed around on here was better than most!

Imo, much of it can be attributed to the trolling that eventually got so bad. I can only guess but I think folks just got tired of that trash. Who knows. Stinks though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately many of the guides had to stop posting due to the amount of people that would see them catching fish and then come out the following day(s) and crowd around them. Same goes for many of the regular guys on here. Basically a lack of respect. The internet has changed information sharing for better or worse. For every 1 person posting, there are probably 25 "guests" reading these threads and using the information to their advantage.

Second, I know personally, the weather (heat, thunderstorms) have really curbed my fishing the last month. Where I was fishing 3-4 times a week, now I am fishing maybe once or twice a week, if that. Also, the heat has really warmed the water and I know the stripers I catch are most likely going to die upon being caught and I would rather not risk that right now.

As far as trolling and banter. I personally think folks need to grow a thicker skin. We have heavily moderated and gotten blow back and have eased off and guess what...more complaining. We can't babysit around the clock. If you see something that you don't like then look around it.

Lastly, I think apathy plays a part as well. This board has been around a while and many folks don't respond to general topics that may have been covered multiple times in the past. I encourage folks to use the "Search" feature. A few keywords will unlock more threads than you can read in a day and contain valuable information.

jettman96

I hear ya man. I've been a member since '06 and this forum was great with a lot of really good people offering up good educated advice and encouragement.

I do miss some of the old members like Sultan of Slime and a few others that have disappeared. Probably due to the trolling and negativity that was going on for a while. That's part of the reason I was gone for a while.

In my opinion it isn't a bad thing that we aren't over flowing with new threads on a daily basis. I still hold this forum as my #1 go to for fishing and hunting information.

crackerdave

Unfortunately many of the guides had to stop posting due to the amount of people that would see them catching fish and then come out the following day(s) and crowd around them. Same goes for many of the regular guys on here. Basically a lack of respect. The internet has changed information sharing for better or worse. For every 1 person posting, there are probably 25 "guests" reading these threads and using the information to their advantage.

Second, I know personally, the weather (heat, thunderstorms) have really curbed my fishing the last month. Where I was fishing 3-4 times a week, now I am fishing maybe once or twice a week, if that. Also, the heat has really warmed the water and I know the stripers I catch are most likely going to die upon being caught and I would rather not risk that right now.

As far as trolling and banter. I personally think folks need to grow a thicker skin. We have heavily moderated and gotten blow back and have eased off and guess what...more complaining. We can't babysit around the clock. If you see something that you don't like then look around it.

Lastly, I think apathy plays a part as well. This board has been around a while and many folks don't respond to general topics that may have been covered multiple times in the past. I encourage folks to use the "Search" feature. A few keywords will unlock more threads than you can read in a day and contain valuable information.

Very well written,and true of any forum on this board.
The "search" button is your friend!

Last edited:

Tmpr111

I can agree with paragraphs 1, 2 & 4 ... great points. In regards to the negativity on here in p. 3, I also agree that folks need to have thicker skin and especially when choosing to participate on a public forum... Although too imo, around this time last year there were a select few that were a bit intentional and overboard, which ultimately led to folks being turned away. It's those cases that are unfortunate.

Wheeler2

I think this forum is probably the best source for education and information pertaining to the outdoors. Who knows how to hunt and fish better than the guys that are actually doing it. I hardly ever go a day without looking on this forum and its probably going to stay that way.

However, as with anything else in life, there are a select few that can put a bad taste in your mouth. This select few, must either be corrected or ignored. As far as the monitoring of the forum, I think Dustin and the others do a great job. Other forum members must also correct the select few that choose to impose their superiority on others.

There is a monumental difference between experts and those that know everything. The later of the two are the folks that I don't trust. Anyone that does not believe in the process of continual education is on my list of people to avoid.

Silver Bullet

Well, at least it's not the duck forum...

Tom Tom

I think that a lot of people have posted in the past but very few if any have commented on the post. This is especially true on posts telling about the luck they did or did not have fishing. Lots of people will comment on the "how do you do this or that" but few will actually post a fishing report. After a while people will stop posting fishing reports.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think that a lot of people have posted in the past but very few if any have commented on the post. This is especially true on posts telling about the luck they did or did not have fishing. Lots of people will comment on the "how do you do this or that" but few will actually post a fishing report. After a while people will stop posting fishing reports.

Unless you make a post about how you did catfish jugging. Then you will get plenty, plenty of replies. :bounce: Lotsa folks around think there is only one way to fish oronly one species worth fishing for. That don't help.

Lanier Jim

I slowed down because I grew tired of some things. Proof is in the results and if one person is having trouble - it's not the people not having problems fault. I fish and help others who ask as a hobby and love of the sport. ...that's it.

xs5875

Banned
I wil be honest. I dont post much because you will only get replies if you are in the click here. When folks refer to others by their names rather than screen names in an attempt to try to fit in or be cool, eh. Not to mention the "driveler" threads, and a useless Billy. I like looking at pictures of peoples catches and kills...idc to be in the click.

luigi

I'm still trying to learn. (The operative word there is "trying"). I visit most days, and read hoping to find some tips. And a lot of people have been helpful with the questions I've asked wanting to know how to go about something. I appreciate the forum and what it has to offer. I also enjoy looking at the pics of what people have caught, and I can only hope that one day I'll be fortunate enough to catch something big enough and nice enough to post.

fishinbub

I read the forum a good bit. The search function is absolutely phenomenal. I rarely post reports anymore (here or over on NGTO)...I just got out of the habit during school. I'm going to make a definite effort to change that in the near future. Hope you guys do the same...:cheers: