UGA v BAMA

Dean

Miguel - actually it does...

::ke:

Coach speak, just a few references:

"Richt called it “very important,” to make plays vertically in the passing game"
"They have some tremendously skilled receivers," Richt said. "They've got a vertical passing game that I know I envy. We like to throw it down the field, but they can really lay it out there good."

"Vertical offense

Pioneered by Sid Gillman in the late '60s and into the early '70s, the vertical offense is a combination of deep passing and power running. The offense relies on getting all five receivers out into patterns that combined stretched the field, setting up defensive backs with route technique and the Quarterback throwing to a spot on time where the receiver can catch and turn upfield. Pass protection is critical to success because at least two of the five receivers will run a deep in, skinny post, comeback, speed out, or shallow cross."

"Spread offenses also leverage vertical (down field) passing routes to spread the defense vertically, to open up multiple vertical seams for both the running and passing game"

"One of the things we've stressed is trying to put the ball down the field vertically." Coach Jim McElwain

"First, the concept is a great introduction for coaches, quarterbacks, and all players (as well as fans) to how to "stretch" or break down coverage. At core, the route involves four guys running "vertically" -- hence the name. They split the field four ways, and as a result typical "two-deep" (Cover two, Tampa Two) or one- or three-deep coverages (Cover three, Cover one man, certain zone blitzes) should not be able to defend the route.

Although when you talk about a "vertical" or "streak route," most people think of a deep bomb down the sidelines, the four-verticals concept really attacks the safeties; the outside routes will be thrown at times based on matchup, but usually you're trying to make the free safety wrong"

"The four-verticals is a staple of nearly every modern passing game, be it spread, pro-style, or option-based"

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
::ke:

Coach speak, just a few references:

"Richt called it “very important,” to make plays vertically in the passing game"

Yes, I am familiar with Coach Richt making that statement.

My take on it was, if you would learn that "down the field" is actually a horizontal direction, then maybe you wouldn't have gone since 1980 from the last NC. :pop:

Maybe they teach math differently at Florduh State, East Carolina and the Unibursity uv Jawja. :crazy:

nickel back

I think they will stack the line and dare us to throw. Think we will see if Lambert's performance last week was a flash in the pan or not.

This^^^^

Also the DAWGS will need play at their very best with out the stupid mistakes to beat BAMA.

SpotandStalk

Yes, I am familiar with Coach Richt making that statement.

My take on it was, if you would learn that "down the field" is actually a horizontal direction, then maybe you wouldn't have gone since 1980 from the last NC. :pop:

Maybe they teach math differently at Florduh State, East Carolina and the Unibursity uv Jawja. :crazy:

One of those teams has a more recent NC than Bammer. :biggrin2:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
This game may wind me up. I will be watching it in a sports bar in Gulf Shores, with my UGA shirt on. Don't see any way this can turn out good. If Bama wins, I don't win, and if UGA wins, I hope Bama Browning is there to help.