Sell me on a Boss Buck 200lb gravity feeder

XJfire75

Tractor Supply has them for $200 and free shipping right now so strongly considering one. I just put out a Moultrie 55gal with their dinner plate gravity attachment but after I saw the price of the Boss Buck I’m curious for those who use them if you like them and how well they hold up and if the feed/corn spreads well to each tube and just general impressions about their feeders.

Thanks

Blisterapine

I have 2 of the 200lb type.
I like them a lot, I mix 50lbs or protein with corn, the deer absolutely devour it. I don't hunt anywhere near them, fill them every 2 weeks , run cameras on them and leave.

catch22

we have about 18 of the boss bucks. most of ours are the 350s but we have a few 200s. I dont know of a better feeder. We have tried them all. There is zero maintenance on them. You can adjust the spout depending on the type and size of feed you are using so you can control how much comes out. If you are 5'9" or taller you can fill them without a ladder or step fairly easy.

We have fed protein, and corn and mix of the 2. We remove the spouts at the bottom in the summer when we arent using so that critters cant nest in them, but thats just what we do....its not necessary

The only con to the feeder is if you have hogs or bears....the hogs will root and push and knock the feeders over.

shdw633

you can get the 300lb Banks from sportsman guide right now for roughly 20.00 more.

From what I read it's more like $60 more, plus shipping, plus 4x4 post.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I've had spin feeders for years and went to the Boss Bucks last season and what a difference. No noise like you get from the spin feeder. It's like a buffet for them with the BB as to where the spin feeders throw it out they eat and it's gone until the spinner goes off again. The bucks and does seem to stay in the area longer and bed up close by the BB. If you keep them full the deer have no reason to wander looking for a food source. The 200 lb will hold 7- 5gallon buckets of corn that with my deer heard will last 1.5 weeks. I recently purchased the 350 lb feeder to give it a try to see how long it will hold corn. The coons cannot destroy these things. Very strong and durable. We have 1 feeder for every 100 acres. My pictures from last season proved everything to me. The bucks love them!!

Attachments

• KIMG0389.JPG
    KIMG0389.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 200
  • KIMG0185.JPG
    KIMG0185.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 210
  • KIMG0327.JPG
    KIMG0327.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 204
  • KIMG0225.JPG
    KIMG0225.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 196

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I might add that Top Bait & Tackle in Cuthbert sells the 350lb for $299 but you pick it up.

shdw633

Squirrels eat our feeders up too much for me to spend that kind of money on one. I find the cheaper spin feeders and then take off the spinner and attach a gravity tube to them, similar to what you are doing with the plate. Works fine and if the squirrels chew up the barrel we just patch it up, two of our feeders have metal tubs on them because of the squirrels.

old florida gator

boss buck feeders are basically a thin fiberglass , highly prone to being eaten by coons, tree rats and birds and bears like to knock them over and hogs as well. don't waste your money on them go with an all metal feeders .

Keith Karr

Here's an idea you might try on the legs to keep coons and squirrels off. Got the idea off archery talk from a guy in Texas. Hang either 4" or 6" piece of 3 ft pvc using bailing wire to each leg.IMG_3484.PNG

shdw633

Here's an idea you might try on the legs to keep coons and squirrels off. Got the idea off archery talk from a guy in Texas. Hang either 4" or 6" piece of 3 ft pvc using bailing wire to each leg.View attachment 936520

How does it keep the varmints off? Because it moves? I would think the bailing wire would eventually wrap itself around the pole and then the pvc pipe would not move and they could climb up again? Am I missing something here?

Keith Karr

shdw633, I've not tried it yet but the guy I spoke to said it's because of the movement that they can't climb around it.

If they loose their grip quickly maybe it wouldn't wrap itself around the pole.

It's probably worth a try anyway.

shdw633

shdw633, I've not tried it yet but the guy I spoke to said it's because of the movement that they can't climb around it.

If they loose their grip quickly maybe it wouldn't wrap itself around the pole.

It's probably worth a try anyway.

Oh I am definitely going to try it the next time I am up at my camp!! I am tired of feeding those critters and having them eat through my feeders all the time. BTW OP, check out the reviews on Amazon, one of the main complaints is squirrels eating through them, not saying it's not worth buying but be conscience about where you are putting the feeder and possibly do what Keith is suggesting right off the bat in order to prevent that from happening as you can't keep feed dry if their is a hole in the top of it.

Keith Karr

Shdw633 please give us a report if you try the pvc. I believe a 10’ piece of thin wall pvc is around $10.....so it won’t cost much to give it a try.

bonecollector123

Academy has the shark teeth strips for feeder legs for 20 buck they are supposed to work good. I haven't tried them but I have some I will be putting on my feeders when I go up to camp

boss buck feeders are basically a thin fiberglass , highly prone to being eaten by coons, tree rats and birds and bears like to knock them over and hogs as well. don't waste your money on them go with an all metal feeders .
Boss Buck feeders are high density polyethylene. I have (2) 600# feeders which have never been eaten up by anything, nor have they ever been knocked over. They are pricey, but I would have no other feeder. Highly recommend.