Cleaning a shotgun action?

Ga-Spur

I'm the one that should be asking that; I have one on the tractor and you talk about getting dirty. I just shoot it full of W-D 40 until the fluid comes out clear. I know this is not the way to clean it but if I tried to keep it clean any other way that's all I would get done.Some one will jump on here now to tell us how to do it Correctly .

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Get a hold of Gunn docc.

BTW, that WD 40 will gum up your action. Just wait untill1 day when you really need it and it won't work.

Handgunner

I don't know about the specifics, but most pumps function pretty near the same way. With the pump forward, and trigger pulled to "fire" the gun, take a punch and knock out the trigger mechanism. Ease it out the bottom and pay close attention to where the parts are and how they look. Once that's done, take the parts out, wipe them down, degrease them, oil them up and put it back together. Remember in oiling a gun. A little goes a LONG way.

You can oil a gun too much, causing it to jam, clog, etc...

It takes some nerve doing it for the first time, but once you pass the initial, "I'm gonna tear my gun up" stage, it's fairly easy. Worse case scenario is you can't put it back together and have to take it to a gunsmith.

Just remember. Don't force anything. If it seems like it doesn't fit a certain way... It usually doesn't. Main thing is remembering the way things came out, and putting them back in a certain way.

I've completely broken down pumps, auto's, bolts, etc... And it always scares me, or makes me nervous. But you're never gonna learn unless you try.

Good luck!

Nitro

Banned
If you don't have the skill or don't want to attempt a complete "break down" of your shotguns action there is a way to get it most of the way clean.

To add to Delton's accurate comments-

#1- Never use WD 40 to clean guns. WD stands for "water displacer" - that it does a good job of. It will not clean carbon residue, unburnt powder or plastic from wads out of a shotgun. It can build into a shellac substance if allowed enough time to dry and build up. It can cause primer failure in your ammo and decrease actual function of your firearms.

#2- Buy a can of aerosol "GunScrubber"- tilt the action towards the ground (outdoors or in a well ventilated area) and let er rip.

Wash out as much gunk, etc as possible. Gun Scubber evaporates clean and dries without leaving residue. You can use a pipe cleaner or toothbrush to aid in removing any tough stuff.

3. Lightly lubricate any parts that show contact or wear- use Rem Oil, Break Free, or any high quality lubricant of your choice. Wipe down all metal surfaces with a rust inhibitor.

This should give you at least a fairly clean receiver area on your 1300.

rip18

The best gun cleaning thing I ever bought...

The best gun cleaning thing I ever bought was a small air compressor. It is one of the "little" ones that runs on household current & really doesn't have a tank. I crank it up to about 120 psi. I use it in conjunction with all my other cleaning paraphernalia. I've got one of the rubber-tipped, squeeze-trigger blowing tips on it. I usually blow out as much loose powder & other debris that I can, then clean it like I normally would, & then blow it again before re-assembling.

Even with all the brushes, scrapers, aersol carbon blasters, etc. there were some spots (particularly in actions) that were really tough to get out that are now comparatively easy.

The only word of warning that I would give when using this technique is don't do it at the dining room table. It does tend to blow trash over a certain area if not done carefully... :D

Randy

Warning about GUN SCRUBBER. While I really like this stuff, be careful of what you put it on. It eats up some plastics and will eat the camo off some materials. I ruined a Marlin Model 60 22 with this stuff. The trigger housing is plastic and melted together. It also took the camo off the trigger housing of my Browning Gold.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Randy

thanks for that heads up. I use Gun Scrubber on my Browning gold and Remington 11-87 but have always pulled the trigger assembly before using it.

frankwright

I blast all my guns actions with automotive brake cleaner. It is the same stuff as gun Scrubber at 25% of the price. I do Glocks and everything else and it has never harmed anything. It does dry out all the oils so the firearm will need a good coating of CLP or whatever type of good gun oil you like.

J.R.

I will give the gun scrubber a try, But I won't take the action a part I can take the barrel off and then clean it. what should I oil in the action??

Gun Docc..... What do you think??

J.R.

Gun Docc

Gun Docc..... What do you think??
I think the gun was overall well kept as it was fairly clean inside when i took it apart to clean the action and inside the barrel wasn't too bad but did brighten up after burnishing the bore

Glad to have met you and your dad

Yep folks I cleaned the gun for him and never charged a dime just for his learning while he watched the process

of course he bought the Mec 600jr reloader i had for sale..hehe :D

Take Care,
Gun Docc

Foxfire

Gunslick

www.gunslick.com

The site lists the types of cleaners. Hours Monday-Friday 7:00 A.M. 4:30 P.M. CST. Phone 1-800-635-7656. EXT 242 Use Master or Visa Card. Have seen product advertised on American Shooter.

Foxfire/Y2KZ71