A Matter of Taste

olcaptain

A Matter of Taste

I love art, music and fishing. What I love most of all about these three things is that there is no right or wrong. What appeals to one fella might disgust another. It is just a matter of what suits your fancy in each category. You may like B.B. King, Salvador Dali and fishing for Billfish in the Gulf Stream. If you do then that is fine with me because these things in my opinion are all based on a matter of taste.

But this is a Fish Tale so we will leave Guy Penrod and Claude Monet alone for a bit. From here on out we will talk about fishing and in particular, fishing for a specific species.

Over the last few weeks my four legged friend and I have waited patiently. We have even tried our hand (and paw) at fishing for other types of fish.

DSCF0034-002_zps0mz0x8h4.jpg

DSCF0096_zps9pfm4fqv.jpg

But (change of direction) you don’t name your boat the “Carp Shark” because you chase Bream.

DSCF0011_zpsanfzhchj.jpg

Nor is your dog known worldwide as Maximus Relaximus (The Ultimate Carp Hound) because he has a Catfish fetish.

DSCF0093_zps5fwpsjoi.jpg

Max and I looked in the archives and we knew that our first 2016 Crooked Creek Carp was landed on March 11. The weather has been fairly warm here recently and we hoped that we might strike Gold a day or two early this year. We’ve done all we knew to do but when I looked in Max’s eyes today I felt as though something was going to be different.

DSCF0013_zpslyjawiso.jpg

DSCF0006_zpsn03bvn1p.jpg

When I saw his nose go airborne downstream and then turn upstream this Olcaptain knew it was time to pull all the stops and put the first bar of Gold on the Dachshund’s Dock today! How did I go about it? I thought you’d never ask………

First of all I loaded a small hook with several kernels of canned corn. I then chunked it across the creek in the shallower and therefore warmer water. I then gave Max the Applesauce.

DSCF0009_zpsxosiawip.jpg

What????? That’s right folks. Ol Maxxy loves Applesauce but I knew there was only one thing he loved more. I knew in order to get that taste out of his mouth we had to put Gold on the dock! In almost no time a rod went down, the fish was netted and the first Lick and Release for 2017 was in the Captain’s Logbook!!!

DSCF0018_zpsfuvy7awv.jpg

DSCF0017_zpsjlgqid3m.jpg

DSCF0014_zps1fpiiwqk.jpg

Like I said I love Art, Music and Fishing and I hope you do as well. What kind you like is totally up to you but in my opinion it’s all just a matter of taste.

DSCF0019_zpsrlyoyqvq.jpg

AlanShort

I bet he had a headrush. Kind of like a kid in springtime getting that first ice cream scarfed down.

Cmp1

BANNED
Ole max was like a kid in a candy store,,,, priceless,,,, what a beauty,,,, Max and the carp,,,, and great story telling as usual,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent! Glad Max is no longer suffering from W.C.D.S. (wintertime carp deficiency syndrome. ) :)

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Captain, do you ever eat the Carp?

Killer Kyle

I always love and look forward to your posts! Your stories bring a smile to my face every time. "Lick and release". Haha! Seems that hound loves Carp as much as you do!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
LOL LOL LOL,,,, lick and release,,,, love it,,,,

I remember long ago Max tried it with a "cat" fish once. Didn't taste as good as "gold". The look on both faces was priceless.

Cmp1

BANNED
I remember long ago Max tried it with a "cat" fish once. Didn't taste as good as "gold". The look on both faces was priceless.

LOL LOL LOL,,,, if I put our weiner dog in the captain's canoe,,,, you couldn't get him out,,,, loves the water,,,, and probably would love the "gold",,,,

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
LOL LOL LOL,,,, if I put our weiner dog in the captain's canoe,,,, you couldn't get him out,,,, loves the water,,,, and probably would love the "gold",,,,
Not answering for them, but looks like the two of you should PM Capt. and do as he says "Come see them". Can we say ROAD TRIP?

Cmp1

BANNED
Not answering for them, but looks like the two of you should PM Capt. and do as he says "Come see them". Can we say ROAD TRIP?

I'm trying to get down to Lanier and Allatoona,,,,the Capt has a beautiful place,,,, like others have said,,,, livin the dream,,,,

Last edited: