Which Bait Caster?

krizia829

Get that one and start using it, look up videos of how to set a bait caster up, you’ll have to change it per lure, at least I do mine, if you set it up, it will be a breeze for you
will do! It's a whole new world for me. Thanks!

Darkhorse

While most reels are made at the same plant I don't agree that they are all the same.
10 years or so ago I bought a Lews Tournament MB and a Garcia Revo SXwhich was the more expensive of the 2. Right from the start the Lews was the smothest. Now the Revo has had the bearings replaced and several other critical parts and the Lews just keeps on working.
I own Shimanos, Garcias, and Lews. For my money the Lews can't be beat.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
will do! It's a whole new world for me. Thanks!
Curious how things are going with he baitcasting. I remember when I learned, when I got a rats nest, my best friend made me loosen the drag a lot, versus clicking the button and doing it on a free spool. I too love me some trilene in 17# xl for Fl.

hipster dufus

Lews LFS, 100$ . Cant beat it. Good 100$ rod. I've owned a lot of different ones. These are my favorites, price point is perfect.

marlin

The last 4 bait caster reels I bought, I’m ashamed to say came from Walmart. They have lews reels 2 different models one is 60 dollars and the other one is 68 dollars.. they have been fished hard the past two years and haven’t failed yet.

ghadarits

Ambassador 5000 or 5500.

Simple and rugged.
I have a couple of 5501’s and 6501’s that are close to 30yo so will second this recommendation. Those reels are as basic as it gets and easy to use in my opinion. Here’s something to consider since you are just starting out with them. I’m right handed but taught myself to reel a bait caster left handed so I don’t have to transfer my rod on each cast. I tried to teach myself to cast lefty but that proved to be too much for me so I settled for reeling lefty instead.

ghadarits

This is the ticket. I have many dozens of baitcasters and my brother got me a Lewes. I’m convinced it’s the Best Buy. Good luck either way.
I have several Lews bait casters and they’ve held up well so I’d recommend them. However their spinning reels need some improving they don’t hold up to serious use.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a couple of 5501’s and 6501’s that are close to 30yo so will second this recommendation. Those reels are as basic as it gets and easy to use in my opinion. Here’s something to consider since you are just starting out with them. I’m right handed but taught myself to reel a bait caster left handed so I don’t have to transfer my rod on each cast. I tried to teach myself to cast lefty but that proved to be too much for me so I settled for reeling lefty instead.
Opposite for me. I throw a bait caster "regular"- then put the handle on the wrong side and switch hands chunking a spinning reel. :bounce:

But yeah, those Ambassadors are good reels and been doing it long before these high dollar Jap jobs came out. In the US anyway.

I used mine when I moved to Florida for Pier and inshore until I could afford a "real" saltwater reel.
I was a young man then and hittin' pick up bars chasing womenz 4 nights a week took priority over fishing. Very expensive hobby.
:rofl:

ghadarits

Opposite for me. I throw a bait caster "regular"- then put the handle on the wrong side and switch hands chunking a spinning reel. :bounce:

But yeah, those Ambassadors are good reels and been doing it long before these high dollar Jap jobs came out. In the US anyway.

I used mine when I moved to Florida for Pier and inshore until I could afford a "real" saltwater reel.
I was a young man then and hittin' pick up bars chasing womenz 4 nights a week took priority over fishing. Very expensive hobby.
:rofl:
Now that is funny. I’d bet in retrospect the fishing gear would’ve been the better long term investment, unless of course you met your future wife while doing it.

Big7

The Oracle
Now that is funny. I’d bet in retrospect the fishing gear would’ve been the better long term investment, unless of course you met your future wife while doing it.
No.
First one was high school sweetheart.

Second one I met at my best friend's funeral. She was a friend of his sister.

I'd be straight up lying if I said running up the numbers wasn't the best years of my life. So far.
Prolly took a few years off my expiration date tho.
:bounce:

krizia829

Curious how things are going with he baitcasting. I remember when I learned, when I got a rats nest, my best friend made me loosen the drag a lot, versus clicking the button and doing it on a free spool. I too love me some trilene in 17# xl for Fl.
Well, I got from a friend a Lew's Speed Spool already spooled with 30# braid. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it feels nice. I'll make sure to post my first catch with it! Between the weather down here and my limited time, I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. I'll let you know how it goes!