Going to lake Blue ridge tomorrow

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Gonna drag the boat to Blue ridge tomorrow and asking for any tips on lures for Walleye And smallmouth. I’ve never caught either but hope to tomorrow. My wife’s cousins in town and she loves to fish! Her parents have a place up there so that’s where everyone is at. I haven’t drug the boat over an hour in quite a while but looking forward to some new water……I’ve never been there cept on the shore.
I’m fishing a drop shot, wacky senko, maybe drop a spoon or throw a top water usually, I like a chatterbait too, but seldom throw swimming baits…….not much luck. My wife will hardly put down a senko but Will take any suggestions like me. It’ll be a hot afternoon into sunset and we’ll have fun even if we don’t catch anything. But we got skunked last night on the toona and I’d really like to put a fish in the boat. We had fun though!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Try vertical jigging Hopkins shorty spoons deep over rocky points.

pjciii

I would use Gulp crayfish for smallmouth bouncing along the bottom. For walleye I would use a shad rap perch pattern with bright orange belly.

kevin17

Keep top water ready all day long. Drop shot is always a good choice. Focus on points that are close to the main river channel. Bluff walls are always good in the summer.

JKat81

Pretty simple this time of year in terms of baits. I’d probably have three to four rods on the deck. Some kind of walking bait, spook, Sammy, etc, and a drop shot with a morning dawn or Blue shad worm, and a shakey head. Deep points, offshore humps and channel swing banks. Good luck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Guess'n he's have'n too much fun to tell us about it.
We didn’t make it that weekend, but we are going in the AM! It’s gonna be hot as all get out, but we are both excited to make our first trip! I’m a little nervous to be honest too. I haven’t pulled the boat that far, maybe ever. I’ll check the hubs for heat and all that good stuff.
I’ve been checking it out a little and it seems the river runs north into the lake. Kinda strange, but I want to go Up river quite a bit. Closest ramp to 515 is where well put in. I appreciate all the tips and if anyone has more I’m all ears!

sprewett

We didn’t make it that weekend, but we are going in the AM! It’s gonna be hot as all get out, but we are both excited to make our first trip! I’m a little nervous to be honest too. I haven’t pulled the boat that far, maybe ever. I’ll check the hubs for heat and all that good stuff.
I’ve been checking it out a little and it seems the river runs north into the lake. Kinda strange, but I want to go Up river quite a bit. Closest ramp to 515 is where well put in. I appreciate all the tips and if anyone has more I’m all ears!
Shoot a pig while your there wait.... Catch a pig! Haha

kevin17

How was blue ridge

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How was blue ridge
HOT! We got to dry branch ramp about 8:30ish. It was a glass top setting that portraits would be made of! Man was it gorgeous! We dropped the trolling motor and fished our way out of the backwaters and then worked our way down(or up) the Taccoa, fishing along the way. We went up river til it was about 10’ deep in the middle and then we started to see the jet skis and wake boats…….that didn’t take long! We worked our way to the other end of the lake, doing the same, just fishing coves and swing banks. We fished the dam area for a while and then to a “party cove” close by and enjoyed a long dip in pristine 85° water!
It was about 2pm when we started back to the ramp. It was obviously a rough ride for my 17’ Procraft fish and ski, but honestly, it really wasn’t that bad for a 100° summer Saturday! I’ve certainly seen worst on the toona!
She had one bangsmack on a plopper(1st time on topwater) and I think I had a blue gill nibble on my jig. Those were the only bites we got all day. My fish finder only has sonar so we used our phones for navigation……..that was fun!
Other than no caught fish, it was a perfect day to spend with my everything! She’s been on me to get a sideview fish finder ever since I planted that seed in her ear a few years ago…….I played it well and waited long enough. Can’t wait to get back there this winter when the fishing is easier!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
On a side note, my nervousness came to fruition as my check engine light came on shortly after getting on 575. I was ready to blaze as usual but doing 80mph with a loaded boat wasn’t making my ‘08 ridgeline(with 295k on it)very happy. My check engine light started blinking! I was pulling over on the sixes exit and as soon as I slowed down, it stopped and we kept cruising. I dropped down to 70-73 and the trip went smoothly. No issues there and back. Now I understand why my best friend monitors his tranny temp and drives slower when his boat is in tow……pretty sure that’s what it was! Can’t wait to go back and maybe fish a few other lakes when I get some decent elecronics.