Which Bait Caster?

krizia829

I have fished with a spinning reel all my life. Always wanted to have a bait caster but after my first time trying it years ago, I had a nice little nest of line ruin my day.

What would you consider a good "beginner" combo that is max $125? I don't want to get anything too pricey right now but would love to start with something.

I have some frog lures I'd love to use out here in the Everglades with one.

Thanks!!

hipster dufus

Once again i reccomend Lews. I would look at a 100$ reel(LFS) and a 100$ rod. Maybe find a combo around 160-200$. A cheaper reel will just frustrate you. I can also reccomend the bps reels. 100$ is a good price point

krizia829

Bass Pro has this on sale right now. I have a number of Bass Pro Baitcasters and they have been pretty bulletproof for the price.

Once again i reccomend Lews. I would look at a 100$ reel(LFS) and a 100$ rod. Maybe find a combo around 160-200$. A cheaper reel will just frustrate you. I can also reccomend the bps reels. 100$ is a good price point
Thank you!!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Bass Pro, Lew's, Abu, and a number of others are all made by Doyo in China. Yes parts and finishes can vary, but there isn't a huge difference among them within the price ranges.

Lilly001

Regardless of which you choose I would recommend starting with a larger mono line (17+) and set your magnetic and/or centrifugal brake to near max. And use a medium weight (for the rod) lure.
Then lower the brakes as you get more comfortable.
You may have to throw pretty hard to start, but you will progress quickly.
This is how I started my grandson (8 at the time).
He was throwing very well after about an hour and had no bird nests.
Now he out fishes me.

Big7

The Oracle
I have fished with a spinning reel all my life. Always wanted to have a bait caster but after my first time trying it years ago, I had a nice little nest of line ruin my day.

What would you consider a good "beginner" combo that is max $125? I don't want to get anything too pricey right now but would love to start with something.

Thanks!!
Ambassador 5000 or 5500.

Simple and rugged.

basstrkr

Most reels made today are much better, smoother, and lower profile than years ago. Remember to make a "s-m-o-o-t-h" cast in the beginning. It may help to use a lot of arm in your cast at first, and feather the spool till the end of the cast.

Pop1414

Another for shimano SLX
Regardless of which reel you choose practice makes perfect. I started with the daiwa pl1500 . Got in the yard and just started practicing. Adjusting how fast lure feel when engaged. Just practice in the yard is what I would recommend. Better to figure it out in the yard than the lake. Just practice, reels today are better than they were years ago. They cost more too.Buy what you can afford and practice. That’s the best way to figure it out.

menhadenman

This is the ticket. I have many dozens of baitcasters and my brother got me a Lewes. I’m convinced it’s the Best Buy. Good luck either way.

Stainlessman

Ive never tried a spin caster as Ive seen and heard the 'birdsnest' tangle trying to get used to it.
For a long time I've used Daiwa spincast silver cast reels. I have micro ones also. Pair a Daiwa reel and a Ugly Stick from 4' to 9' and you can fish for whatever.
Ive used this combo for North Carolina trout to Alaska salmon.
No tangles. Works excellent.

pbradley

Go to ebay or FB marketplace and spend 50 - 60 bucks for a used "B" series Shimano Curado CU 200. 6.2:1 ratio. Holds a ton of line. Pretty much bulletproof.

Have it professionally cleaned up for 20 bucks at a local shop and go fishing forever. You'll love it.

doomtrpr_z71

As Dustin said anything not made by Shimano or Daiwa is going to be made by doyo or banax and is going to be very similar, the only difference between a Lew's and an abu Garcia Revo is the spool bearings, Lew's are German, Abu are Japanese. The Shimano slx can be had under 100 as can the daiwa Fuego, I'd lean more towards the Daiwa since your new to baitcasters and magnetic brakes are more forgiving.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Regardless of which you choose I would recommend starting with a larger mono line (17+) and set your magnetic and/or centrifugal brake to near max. And use a medium weight (for the rod) lure.
Then lower the brakes as you get more comfortable.
You may have to throw pretty hard to start, but you will progress quickly.
This is how I started my grandson (8 at the time).
He was throwing very well after about an hour and had no bird nests.
Now he out fishes me.
This ^^^^^
Regardless which one you go with, learn how to use a baitcaster first.
I'd get a cheap one, or borrow one and throw it around in the yard with just a weight for a while, then look for the one you want to use.

JROESEL

Thanks!!
Where are you located??? It would do you wonders to get with someone to learn how to set up a reel before trying to use it, I set them every bait change, doesn’t take but a few seconds to set and adjust

krizia829

Where are you located??? It would do you wonders to get with someone to learn how to set up a reel before trying to use it, I set them every bait change, doesn’t take but a few seconds to set and adjust
I'm in Miami. I might try the bass pro one for now since it's on sale and not expensive. If I like it, I'll later upgrade. I just wanted to see what might be a good option as a starter. Thank you all so much!!

JROESEL

I'm in Miami. I might try the bass pro one for now since it's on sale and not expensive. If I like it, I'll later upgrade. I just wanted to see what might be a good option as a starter. Thank you all so much!!
Get that one and start using it, look up videos of how to set a bait caster up, you’ll have to change it per lure, at least I do mine, if you set it up, it will be a breeze for you