Kinchafoonee Creek ?

blindhog

It's been a lot of years since I've been on it.

How far up from Slappey is the blue hole?

How is the bass fishing in it?

What kind of crowds at the Slappey landing on a Saturday?

Thanks

Bream Pole

I fished it once with my brother in law, who is now deceased, in the late 60's. We fished out of a Grumman 17' sq stern canoe paddling up stream. We shared the same lure, a 5 1/2 inch Rebel minnow lure, silver with black back. Caught 25 bass which I now think were probably shoal bass. Back then to us a bass was a bass without distinctions.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The big blue hole is a couple of miles up from the Hwy 19-Slappey Drive bridge. There`s still a few largemouth and shoal bass in the lower stretch, but it`s fished a good bit. Kayakers have about taken over from Century Road on down. On the weekends there`s just about not enough water for all of em.

As of a few minutes before I typed this, the creek was high, rising, and muddy. And it`s gonna get worse over the next week.

blindhog

Thanks Nicodemus.
In my teenage years we did a lot of floating and camping out on that creek. I thought this summer I'd take a boat ride up it to see the scenery.
I guess I'll wait until the water drops a bit.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Nicodemus.
In my teenage years we did a lot of floating and camping out on that creek. I thought this summer I'd take a boat ride up it to see the scenery.
I guess I'll wait until the water drops a bit.

New ramp at the Hwy 19 bridge, and you can run, no wake, up the creek a ways, but there will be a set of shoals just a little south of the Century Road bridge that will stop you when the water is at normal levels. You might drag a small boat with outboard over it, but you better have a good breakfast before you try it. You can put in at Hwy 32 and drift down, but when you hit that set of shoals, it`s still gonna be bad on a boat. Count on several portages around logs between Century and 32. That`s the stretch I wade and fish mostly and there is plenty of shallow water and logs. Too tough for anything but a kayak or canoe.

blindhog

Are the shoals before the blue hole going up from 19?

Jumped off that bridge just a few times before!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No, the shoals are up above that particular blue hole. You can get to it in a boat.