Shooting bad

scott30415

With my back still hurting a little, I shot about 30 arrows during the afternoons this week. I was kind of proud of how I was shooting all things considering, even went hunting Saturday afternoon. Got out to shoot today and I have seen a 12 gauge with buckshot have a tighter group. The more I thought about it the worse it got. I try not to stop practicing after a bad shot, but it was clear today I needed to stop. Does anyone else ever have these days?

Clipper

Yep. When I'm overly tired, hurting, or been shooting too long. Also have them when my form is off.

Dennis

Yep some days I cant hit the back yard! Its not that you forget how to shoot its just one of those days you can not concentrate.
Don't worry about it and on those days just find something else to do instead of getting frustrated

Todd Cook

Yep some days I cant hit the back yard! Its not that you forget how to shoot its just one of those days you can not concentrate.
Don't worry about it and on those days just find something else to do instead of getting frustrated

Dennis is dead on about the concentration part. The problem with shooting without sights is that our focus is all we have to lean on.

I was shooting with DD Quillian one day and he said "You have to shoot angry". I thought that was an odd thing to say, but I realized he didn't mean to walk around mad all the time. He was talking about locking in on the target 100%. I'll tell you this, he's tough to beat.

scott30415

I was thinking like Dennis, I took a deep breath and put the bow down before I accidentally shot myself with the bow the way I was shooting.

oldfella1962

I generally practice until I start getting sloppy, then stop for the day. Once you start getting frustrated you are just wasting your energy and time.

SELFBOW

There's days I'm off by a foot and days I can bust a leaf w ease . its all on focus w me I believe.

Chefmuss

I try and shoot 3-6 arrows in the morning and the same in the evening. Never more than a dozen in a session. I find after 12 shots you start thinking to much....like some others said you lose focus. In the field it all really comes down to one shot anyway.

Skunkhound

I have days when I'm shooting so poorly I'd be embarrassed if anyone saw it. On those days I just pack it up. I might try again later in the day, but when I'm off that bad, I know I'm not in the right mindset to shoot, so I don't force it.

oldfella1962

I try and shoot 3-6 arrows in the morning and the same in the evening. Never more than a dozen in a session. I find after 12 shots you start thinking to much....like some others said you lose focus. In the field it all really comes down to one shot anyway.

Thinking will get in the way that's for sure. Thinking leads to second-guessing yourself. If you can hit the target on a good day then your body knows what to do - we just have to let our bodies do their thing every time! :bounce:

scott30415

Years ago when I thought I would enjoy playing golf, a friend of mine that could actually play use to always say"never stop practicing on bad swing" that is why you see the pro stepping back swinging after a bad shot. Has to do with muscle memory, I guess. I have always taken a page from the golf book for archery, "good practice equals good shooting". I do agree with the over thinking things though.

sawtooth

make your practice fun again. Don't put pressure on yourself to shoot well. Get a tennis ball and toss it in the yard, shoot at it. If you hit it, cool, if you don't- don't sweat it. Shoot at it again, when your shooting becomes fun again, you will shoot well. And hitting what you're shooting at is a lot of fun. It kinda feeds each other.

Munkywrench

Recently came across a video talking about the problems with shooting too much. The guy said you shouldn't shoot more than 6 shots or so a session, and don get caught in the "2 more good shots and I'm done" game. I shoot a lot, sometimes I may shoot 40-50 in a session and be pleased but other days after a few things just fall apart and I keep pushing to shoot better.
During this time of year I like to take one or two shots, going through the motions as if I had a jumpy nanny doe in front of me, and then put the bow down. I don't care if I shoot good after a few warm up shots, the first is what's gonna matter out in the woods. I may return half an hour later but I don't just fling arrows till I'm tired