Home AC questions

WishboneW

Any one know where I can get a condenser for a Rheem 3 ton unit, R22 refrigerant?

My son, in Douglasville needs one replaced. Would prefer not to have to buy a whole new system.

breathe in

you can try fox appliance in dunwoody(?)/doraville(?) or forest park.

they'll sell more stuff to the public than you can get at hd or lowes. i replaced the capacitors to my furnace and condenser , saving a bunch of money.

i don't think they sell the refrigerant to the public, only to the trade, but may have the other stuff you need.

RedRyder

There are several places that sell equipment online. Just look for a unit that is not pre-charged with refrigerant.

Now finding R-22 at a decent price will be an issue. If you clean out the refrigerant lines (or replace the lines) with a proper cleaner you can go with R-407C which is a lot cheaper.

Although you are not supposed to/nor recommended.......I have added R-407C directly to a unit with R-22 in it and they have been running for great for a good while with no issues.

RedRyder

There are several places that sell equipment online. Just look for a unit that is not pre-charged with refrigerant.

Now finding R-22 at a decent price will be an issue. If you clean out the refrigerant lines (or replace the lines) with a proper cleaner you can go with R-407C which is a lot cheaper.

Although you are not supposed to/nor recommended.......I have added R-407C directly to a unit with R-22 in it and they have been running for great for a good while with no issues.

95g atl

I've done same thing, but with R-410A. Had my HVAC man evac all the R22, ran a simple flush and installed 410A in the system. Running better now than with the R22. And cheap! ---same as you, I don't want to personally recommend it.

Once the old until takes a dive, I will replace with new 410A system.