Maytag dryer problemMaytag electric dryer just stopped heating and timer won't turn o

Jasper

Maytag electric dryer just stopped heating and timer won't turn off. It had been working fine and suddenly both happened at same time. Lint hose to outside not obstructed. Ideas? Thanks!

transfixer

For both to be not working is unusual, get the model # off the dryer and google the symptoms, there is actually a good bit of info to be found on those symptoms, even some on youtube

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Dryers are pretty basic machines. Drum, motor, heater and controls. Tons of You Tube videos on each to troubleshoot and fix.

I had my Kemore completely broken down in about 20 minutes, cleaned it good, found a nickel that had somehow gotten down in the bottom under the drum and was touching two electrical contacts on part of the heater. Had it cleaned and all back together in less than an hour.

Make sure you unplug it if you work on it.

Dbender

Dryers are pretty basic machines. Drum, motor, heater and controls. Tons of You Tube videos on each to troubleshoot and fix.

I had my Kemore completely broken down in about 20 minutes, cleaned it good, found a nickel that had somehow gotten down in the bottom under the drum and was touching two electrical contacts on part of the heater. Had it cleaned and all back together in less than an hour.

Make sure you unplug it if you work on it.
Dryers aren't the simple machines they once were. There are a lot of computer controlled features on newer dryers along with moisture detectors that will cause all sorts of problems.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Dryers aren't the simple machines they once were. There are a lot of computer controlled features on newer dryers along with moisture detectors that will cause all sorts of problems.

Fair enough. My Kenmore is pushing 20 years old.

My friend just had a problem with her almost 20 year old Maytag Centennial that turned out to be a thermal fuse. Just throwing it out there because we just talked about it.

The heating element uses 220 volts off of 2 wires to work. The controls use 110 volts off of 1 wire to neutral or ground to work. Looks like the power leg to the controls has blowed a fuss or tripped a breaker. his could be caused by a bad heating element. You need a appliance repairmen to repair this type of problem.

carver

Could be a few things,as stated,on some dryers with auto dry cycles if the heating element go's out the timer will not advance,also if the thermal fuse fails (the dryer will not heat and the timer will not advance).First I would check (having been a appliance tech for 40 years)would be the element, then the voltage to the element and to the dryer it's self.