CVA Optima Pistol???

Apex Predator

I noticed one for sale on the classifieds for $200 yesterday.

longbowdave1

I noticed one for sale on the classifieds for $200 yesterday.

You ought to but it and get a cross carry holster for the twins. Sure would speed up a second shot, and would look most impressive walking through the woods with them! :cool:

frankwright

All these posts and pictures have inspired me to buy one too.
I think it is going to fit in with my style of hunting really well. I have not hunted with a rifle in about ten years doing all my hunting with traditional bow, ML or handgun.
Last year a friend told me not to mess with a club but just hunt his property like it was mine. I help with food plots and help watch and keep the farm up too. He said from the time he bought this land it was going to be traditional bow and muzzle loaders only except for rare occasions when his kids might be home from college and want to hunt.
I hunted the land last year and really enjoyed it, I used a Hawken style gun during ML and some of firearms season when I wasn't bowhunting. I killed a doe with the Hawken but those iron sights and my old eyes really limit me.
I think the Optima Pistol and a Scope or Red Dot will open it up for me and help me not missing hunting with my Contenders and other handguns.
I have BH209 and some Hornady 250 SST bullets so that is what I will try in it.
I am used to hard kicking handguns but will probably be trying 80grs to start with.
I got it from Sportsmans Guide, I won't deal with Cheaper Than Diamonds anymore since the way they like to profiteer during hard times. I had a $20 coupon so it made the price about the same.
I hope to have it at the range in the next week or so.

Apex Predator

Let us know how you like her Frank! I'm pretty sure you are gonna love her! :)

frankwright

Should be here in the next few days. I ordered a NC Star 2-7 Illuminated scope for it. I used a 2X NC on my .41 Mag Redhawk and it held up fine so I decided to go cheap and try it.

I already have a few bottles of BH209, primers and a couple of boxes of Hornady SST 250gr bullets so I should be ready to go.
I will report back after a range trip in the next week or so.

PappyHoel

I ordered my scope last week, it should be here tomorrow. I missed last season but I will have it dialed in now.

frankwright

We should have a whole herd of folks shooting them next season.

I have mine together now except for some flip up scope caps I ordered.
I don't know if I will get to the range this week even though I want to. I want to get one day in turkey hunting and I will be in Alabama shooting and working as a Safety officer at a pistol match, so it will be a busy week.
I can't wait to shoot it and I wish someone would make a nice rubber grip like Pachmayr for it. That hard plastic one doesn't feel too good to me.

Attachments

• CVA Optima Pistol 4-16-2014 1-30-44 AM.jpg
    CVA Optima Pistol 4-16-2014 1-30-44 AM.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 529

PappyHoel

What powder are you shooting? I'm thinking a 30 grain + 50 grain 777 ?

frankwright

I have BH209 so I will try that. Probably start with 80grns and see how that does.

longbowdave1

Congrats Pappy and Frank on joining in on the fun! Let us know how it goes when you get a chance to shoot the new pistolas! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

PappyHoel

I have an important safety question. I don't want to use lose powder. I want to use pyrodex pellets. Would a 50 grain 777 pellet plus a 30 grain 777 pellet be to much?

Anyone use the pellets and if so what type ?

Apex Predator

I shoot two 50 grain pellets, which is what CVA recommends. It also shoots well with one 50 grain pellet. You should be fine.

PappyHoel

I shoot two 50 grain pellets, which is what CVA recommends. It also shoots well with one 50 grain pellet. You should be fine.

That seems like too much? Did it rip your hand off?

Apex Predator

It's a handful, but no worse than a full sized .44 mag. I'd say less palm sting, and about the same muzzle rise. I took a pair of shooting gloves to my first range session, and never put them on. I'd say I shot 30 times that day.

PappyHoel

It's a handful, but no worse than a full sized .44 mag. I'd say less palm sting, and about the same muzzle rise. I took a pair of shooting gloves to my first range session, and never put them on. I'd say I shot 30 times that day.

Are you using hogdon pyrodex 777 pellets? I've thought about trying IMR white hots.

longbowdave1

All I have ever shot in my muzzleloaders is loose powder, I still have about 2 one pound jugs of the stuff. Maybe one day I will try the pellets, I could see the advantages of using it.

PappyHoel

Thanks for the input Apex and Dave. I got the scope mounted yesterday and I'm going to buy the bullets and powder now. I should have a range report soon.

I have the same scope as Dave, BSA Edge.

longbowdave1

I was swabbing out the barrel with a patch and ML bore cleaning fluid between each shot when first sighting it in. Kept the bore clean, and easier to push the sabots home when shooting that much. It was fairly easy to dial in. Had so much fun, we must have shot 25 shots that first time out.

Have fun Pappy!

frankwright

I finally got to the range today to shoot the Optima Pistol, it was a blast.

I elected to shoot in the longest pistol bay instead of going to the rifle range. I saw three or four vehicles there and didn't want to interfere with them with putting up targets downrange and all and actually the 50 yards at the pistol range was all I wanted anyway.

Everything went great. I shot about 20 times (Blackhorn 209, Honady 250gr SST and CCI 209M Primers).
I spit swabbed between shots and it took a few shots to get the scope dialed in.

I did not have the best set up, I did have a sturdy table but I was sitting in a $5 folding chair and had a rest but it was not a great rest. I think this set up is capable of awesome 100 yard accuracy from a steady rest. I was able to shoot pretty well from my makeshift rest at 50 and this is usually my hunting distance anyway.
Recoil was not bad, lots of noise and it bucked a little but it was like a big soft push.

I can't wait for ML season and also to try this at 100. I dialed it in 2" high at 50 for now.

Attachments

• optima pistol target.jpg
    optima pistol target.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 445