Pig #5 for 2015

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Your a pig killin man. Good job Dendy

AllAmerican

S. GA Hog hunt

This is the flip side to the Sawtooth story about his recent hog kill. Saturday morning started out with our hunt working a sand bottom. Hot, muggy, and plenty of Mosquitos and flesh chomping yellow flies! The Repel bug spray outdoorsman brand seemed to work well only you need to apply it every 15 mins. Any ways, I worked one end and Sawtooth worked the other of the bottom. Wind was changing up on us. I stumbled upon an alligator track/ den. I kept moving not wanting to meet Mr. Gator! Seen some cranes eating crawfish and a ton of hog signs, but no hogs up to this point.

Mid-day went back for lunch, a small storm front came through and I decided to catch a nap. Ate, got with Sawtooth and decided where to go for second part of day. We went back to the same bottom, this time wind was well in our favor. I must have tipped toed in my snake boots for an hour I had myself clocked a mile into the swamp on the GPS. I literally avoided every twig, emulating an ancient primitive hunter. I was proud of my small feat, let alone getting hammered by flies.

As I looked ahead and crept slowly I noticed a small plant/twig moving back and forth. "It's a little black hog!" I said to myself. My heart was pounding, I controlled my breathing, just relaxed and slowly moved toward the hog, being as patient as I needed to be. I got with in 20 yds and was ready, I could see where it was, but just couldn't pick a spot. Well I got winded, it ran to my right and snorted/blew like a whitetail. It ran back to the left and well, I was busted! That little hog ran like a bat out of H#ll through the thick stuff!

15 minutes later, I see something 60 yards out running right to me, it was a small boar, he seemed to be limping, but I got on one knee and let one fly right over his back, as I nocked another arrow I noticed he had a yellow arrow in the left side of it's ribs. It was Sawtooths! I followed him and he was on his way out, about 5 yards in front of me expiring. I got on the cell and called Sawtooth. "I got your pig". .. Sawtooth said in a whisper,.. " I just shot one, what'd you mean, you found my arrow?"... I replied, "No your pig is right here, dying in front of me!"

2 mins after that phone call, 4 or 5 hogs come busting through the woods hauling, I picked the third one, and out of instinct loaded an arrow and let one rip at 25 yds, a running shot. It connected, the hog screamed and Sawtooth tracking his blood trail said he heard it across the swamp! I got it right in the rear shoulder right under the spine area, I felt it was a kill shot. The group hooked behind me 40/50 yds out, I heard some thrashing and crashing. Again, all that happened in less than a minute from watching the Sawtooth hog expire. We looked and looked, I even got on my hands and knees and kicked up the same group, it seems it was hurt real good and they huddled up together. All that fun and I lost it in the privet, laurels, and sticker bushes. One of my best hunts even though I was with out some pork to take home.

I will post some pics. Hope everyone liked this one.

-All American

Todd Cook

John, it was good to meet and hunt with you. I hate that ya'll couldn't find your pig, but it happens. Especially in that jungle. You'll get em next time.

Al33

Hate you didn't find your pig John but that was a good read anyway. Thanks for sharing your hunt!!

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
What can I say If dendys around dem pigs better start steppin and fetchin