Your choice for deerhunting handgun

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
... would choosing a handgun that looks like a miniature rifle without a shoulder stock really give the hunter the same feel?

A break-open Contender with a 14" barrel and wearing a magnifying crosshair-reticle scope, chambered in a traditional rifle-only caliber like .30-30.... that's getting pretty darn close in look and feel and performance to a real rifle.

At least an 8" barreled double-action revolver looks and feels more like a handgun, even if it also wears a scope.

It's just food for thought.

Interesting observation.

I offer as a counterpoint the fact that while a Contender/Encore with a 14" or 15" barrel, shooting a "rifle" round and wearing a scope may look like a mini rifle, they are decidedly harder to shoot accurately than their rifle counterparts.

I shoot handguns and rifles a lot. I would say that I am in the top 5% of firearms owners in terms of how often I am practicing. For that reason, I am extremely comfortable taking a 400 yard shot with a rifle. For a pistol, I limit myself to about 200 yards. Mostly because of the increase in the number of variables that have to be met for an accurate shot. Given perfect conditions and a solid benchrest, I can stretch that handgun shot to the limit of the round, just like I can with a rifle. However, the field very rarely lends itself to perfect conditions.

Therefore, even though I am using a "mini-rifle" the challenge is still much greater than if I was actually using a rifle and because of that, I enjoy it more.

Barry Duggan

.44 Mag. if you don't handload ... .45Colt if you do.
Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley. I prefer the Bisley.
Use to own a S&W 629 Classic, 6 1/2" barrel and wish I still did. Was perfect for what I used it for and easily scoped.

660griz

Assuming you want to handgun hunt with a handgun cartridge.
Super Redhawk .44 mag. I like the single action trigger pull on double actions better than single actions.(Hopefully that makes sense.:)) And the looks.

Win1917

... would choosing a handgun that looks like a miniature rifle without a shoulder stock really give the hunter the same feel?

Yes. For hundreds of years before the advent of the revolver, handguns looked exactly like miniature rifles. So to my eye, a single shot Contender is actually a more traditionally styled handgun than that complicated mechanical contraption that holds 5 more rounds than a competent hunter needs ::ke:

Kidding aside, there are so few of us that hunt with any kind of handgun these days, what's the benefit of judging each other on some sort of arbitrary criteria of what a "real" handgun is? Or for that matter, what kind of black powder they shoot?

CraigMo

T C Encore or Contender - too many calibers to list them all -some of the re-load only rounds are great - I like the barrels that shoot several loads - 38-357 magnum-357 MAXIMUM - 45 long colt-454-460S&W magnum - my 7-30 Waters shoots great

I have a T/C Encore in .243. There is a 7-30 Waters Encore for sale on the ODT.
7-30 waters is a .30-30 necked down to 7mm, for a faster flatter shooting, lower recoil cartridge. Good choice for a pistol round.

Alan in GA

I like your thinking.....

A lot of people say get a T/C Contender in .30-30 caliber.

Well, this brings up the question of WHY a person would want to use a "handgun" for hunting, instead of a rifle?
Here in Georgia, handguns don't get a special season, a bigger bag limit, or any other advantage over a rifle.

If a person just likes the feel of a handgun, and the LOOK of a handgun, and wants the pride of using a "handgun" to bag an animal that most other hunters use a rifle for....

A break-open Contender with a 14" barrel and wearing a magnifying crosshair-reticle scope, chambered in a traditional rifle-only caliber like .30-30.... that's getting pretty darn close in look and feel and performance to a real rifle.

At least an 8" barreled double-action revolver looks and feels more like a handgun, even if it also wears a scope.

It's just food for thought.

(I could ask the same thing about people who hunt with blackpowder muzzle-stuffers? Except that only some of them do it for the history and nostalgia of hunting with the kind of rifles their ancestors did, while others simply want to take advantage of an early deer season with little competition from other hunters. Those hunters are more likely to get 'black powder' rifles that look just like a modern all-weather big game bolt action rifle, with inline ignition, stainless steel construction, factory camo pattern synthetic stock, and a big scope with an adjustable objective lens and magnification up to 12X. Does such a gun really make you feel connected to the black powder hunters of the 19th century?)

About the same conclusion I had after deer hunting with both Contenders and revolvers. I'm much more capable of a precision bullet placement with a higher magnification scope and rifle stocked arm than any pistol in occasions that require it. After watching my 2X Leupold EER crosshairs move around more than I liked as I tracked a nice buck at 85 yards I decided I would prefer a rifle. I've had dozens of pistols, maybe 7 or 8 Contender frames and several dozen rifles and enjoyed them all. But now my most desired deer pistol is a Redhawk Hunter 44 mag, in blued form as it so happened when I found it. I also like a 10" (or 12"...14" is starting to get a bit long) bull barrel Contender pistol in same caliber so there is no 'side blast' out of a cylinder gap.
I guess I'd say I enjoy them all. The thoughts about a pistol with barrel so long it looks like a rifle with the butt stock cut off do make sense. Such a gangly hunk of machinery, but I'm sure many pistolaro's love to play with them. Me, give me a full rifle stock. If rifle hunting I like a Ruger 77 or I still like a Contender set up with a rifle stock. When I had my very first Contender back around....1978-82?? it was a .35 Rem Super 14 and was as accurate as anything I had, rifle or pistol. But I always thought it would be at it's best with another couple inches of barrel to make it rifle legal, and a rifle buttstcck on it for 'best' steadiness. There are G2 and easy open frames in the safe even now, 30 years later.
I've been bow only for about 7 years now but if I had access to a firearm county to deer hunt I would tote a pistol and be ok. If I had any distance to hunt past 40 to 60 yards I'd feel more confident with a rifle. Just me.

tred1956

I have been hunting with Contenders since the late 70's. I have used every caliber you can think of. My favorite as I grow OLDER is a 25 Bullberry. Super accurate and not bad on the wrist. For target shooting I have switched to the 17,20, and 22 calibers. Good glass is the key to success.
Safe shooting
Doug

Alan in GA

RE-read the OP and,....

If ONE suggestion stands out it would probably be a 41 mag, 44 mag, or 45 Colt (Super) Blackhawk. Even better if you can find a Hunter version so you can experiment with scope and dot sights. I'll bet a lot of us started out with a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag! (I did!)

Last edited:

bronco611

If you are looking to hunt with it where the possibility of a follow up shot may present itself, go with a revolver and you will not have to worry about carrying extra bullets and I have never seen a revolver hang up or jamb like a semi auto is prone to do. Why do you think guides for grizzly and other dangerous game carry them? Their lives or their clients lives may depend on a flawless functioning firearm. Just something to consider.

nickE10mm

The first three deer I've killed with handguns have been with either a 10mm Razorback or a 10mm longslide hunter. I no longer own the Razorback so I think I'll use my Glock 20SF this year to put a notch under its belt.

Of course, there is also my Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter with FO sights that I often use, as well. There is probably NO better deer medicine than ol' Blackie....

Whatever you choose, practice, practice, practice!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
.44 mag revolver with at least a 6" barrel. I hate a scope on a handgun, if I'm gonna shoot a deer at 100 yards, I'll use my rifle. I like to carry a revolver for close-in shots.

660griz

.44 mag revolver with at least a 6" barrel. I hate a scope on a handgun, if I'm gonna shoot a deer at 100 yards, I'll use my rifle. I like to carry a revolver for close-in shots.

I agree except for the scope part. I like scopes for close up shots too. Better visibilty at low light and better accuracy.

Wrangler Hunter

Also the biggest thing is your ability to take the recoil . Shoot all u can get your hands on before u decide.

I have to agree with this completely. Had a Smith and Wesson model 29 6 " barrel .44 magnum. Did not like the way it felt when I shot it. I traded it for a Ruger Super Blackhawk, I dont think they make these anymore. A world of difference for me with felt recoil.

Good luck
Darrell