Remington model 783 compact

hiawassee1

Any input on this particular rifle? I am looking to upgrade my 13 yr old to .308, and looking at this compact model. As always im on a budget. Thanks J.R.

No info on the 783 to share, but we did get a Ruger American compact for the Grands and I was pretty impressed with the rifle and its accuracy.

35 Whelen

The Model 7 is a much better rifle and he will be able to pass it on to his son or daughter.

geezer56

I got my grandson a Ruger American 308 compact a few years ago. He has moved on now, outgrew it. Personally, I like the Savage Axis Accu-trigger model better than the Ruger or Remmy either one. Truthfully though, there isn't a lot of advantages to either of them, including the Mossberg Patriot. It kind of boils down to the Chevy/Ford kind of argument. Any one of them will do what you want, and there isn't a lot of difference in the price.

Hunting Teacher

I agree with the personal choice posts. The Ruger American is fine, a nephew has one. The Savage Axis is supposed to be a nice gun. No experience personally. I'd definitely stick with a 308. So many choices of brand, weight, bullet type, and the ammo is cheap and everywhere.
I hunted gun shows and found my daughters a Ruger Model 77 Compact 243, a Rem Model 7 in 260, and finally an older Tikka Compact 7MM-08. Glad I did as far as the types of rifles go. The mistake I made was not buying all in 308. These rifles will stand the test of time. Hopefully, something will change in this country and my great grandkids will be able to have these rifles down the road after I've been in Heaven for a long time. The American and Axis may well last a very, very long time as well. I just know the ones I mentioned will.

Slugslinger

TC Venture. I have a 270 and 30-06 and they both shoot 1 inch groups at a 100 yds with factory ammo (just as advertised). The bolt is also very smooth.

Beretta682

I bought two this weekend for my kids. A 308 standard for my 15 year old and a 243 compact for my 11 year old. The compact comes with spacers as he grows older or the stock, but i like it as is and i am 6'1". They were on sale and i wound up getting them for 289.99 and there is a 40.00 rebate from remington. All of the reviews i have read are excellent.

The Model 7 is a much better rifle and he will be able to pass it on to his son or daughter.

^^^This right here! Model 7 is a great compact rifle with the short action. I've built a couple rifles using model 7 actions. You can get a pretty good price on one through guns international.

crocket1

Both my boys shoot rem 700 with youth stock. Both in .243. One righty and one lefty. They are super accurate and they have knocked down a good many deer with em. The one my oldest shoots came with spacers to place on stock as he grows. Love em!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Me personally, I get attached and nostalgic towards certain things: A first deer rifle is one of them. My son did not hunt deer until he was a little older. He could handle a full size rifle, so i let him use several of my rifles until we knew what he would want as "His first deer rifle". My dad bought me mine, a Glenfield 30A .30-30, I still have it. Always will. Just like he passed his pre64 M94 to me. My most valued possession.

My son liked my M70, so once I knew that he was ready to make hunting a lifelong sport I bought him a M70 with a nice optic. My hope is that he will cherish that rifle for as long as he lives. He will inherit my first deer rifle (and my dad's too) and i hope he will pass them on as a special nostalgic heirloom - even though they might not be worth much monetarily - they have a wonderful family history.

OP, I understand your son is much younger and likely needs a youth model. One thing I know when a young person kills their first deer - that weapon should be theirs forever. Anything else is just not right in my book; and as you can tell I am sentimental about this issue.

Me personally I would chose a lighter weight cartridge for a 13 year old young man - unless he is bigger than most. Me I like a Marlin Youth Model in .30-30. It is classic and screams American Deer Hunter!

hiawassee1

He has a .243, and he would like to go up a notch. Haven't made a decision yet, please probably stick with a compact model.