Remington 700 Misfire!!

furtaker

In the past I pulled my hair out over two rifles doing the same thing. In one rifle it was an oil I had used to clean it with and later gummed up, the other was a new bolt gun and the factory grease was causing the issue.
The only way the problem was solved was by soaking the bolts in Shooter’s Choice Quickscrub and from now on I use only Rem oil.
I can almost gaurantee you have a sludge of grease or bad oil on that firing pin.

I P-R-O-M-I-S-E you that both rifles (and the bolts) are clean. Refer back to what I said in post #4.

Never a problem with either of these rifles till he broke out the American Whitetail rounds. One of the rifles is his primary deer rifle he has had for many years...he has shot probably 1000 rounds through it and cleaned the rifle and bolt about 538.47 times.

Regardless, I guess it's a moot point now cause I wouldn't pay a dollar a box for that American Whitetail junk. Whoever has confidence in it, more power to them...just wanted to share my experiences with it.

Good luck to all this season!!!

Last edited:

Castandcall

Hornady uses the same brass and primer in that ammo as all the rest of there ammo. The difference is the powder and bullet. That's why I said its probably not a ammo issue.

furtaker

Hornady uses the same brass and primer in that ammo as all the rest of there ammo. The difference is the powder and bullet. That's why I said its probably not a ammo issue.

So just because Hornady uses the same brass and primers in their Whitetail line as in their Custom line, that means it could not possibly be the ammo. Makes sense to me. :crazy:

Will you enlighten me as to exactly what the problem is with both of these 700s so I can fix it?

Castandcall

Well your statement would not be just the Whitetail line of ammo. If its the same brass and primers then that would mean you have trouble with all Hornady ammo. Try the ammo in a different gun and you will see its probably a gun problem not the ammo.

jagwall58

The price might suggest something. The Hornady Whitetails for 25-06 rem are $20 a box, While core lokt 25-06 are $35. This flared me off with them.

dragonfly

My dad bought a new 700 chambered in 243 Win. last year. As most of you know, Remington issued a recall on all rifles with the X-Mark Pro trigger, so he installed a Timney on it a while back.

He has had zero problems with the rifle, other than trying to get it to shoot a tight group. It is pretty finicky with accuracy. Anyway, today he bought a box of the Hornady American Whitetail 100gr factory loads and went to the range.

We shot 5 or 6 times I suppose, and 2 of the rounds misfired. As you can see from the photo, the primer barely struck the 2 rounds...certainly not hard enough to make it fire. The case on the bottom is one of the rounds that fired.

It appears to me that the primers may be seated a bit deeper on the 2 that misfired...it is hard to tell by looking at them. I know it wouldn't take but a tiny bit affect it.

Never seen a 700 misfire. Looking at spent cases, they usually smack the primer harder than any other action I've seen.

Anybody heard of this problem with the American Whitetail loads?

Not sure if it's a crappy gun (or Timney trigger), or if Hornady has some ammo that needs to be recalled.

Thoughts?

The primers appear recessed more on the FTFs than on the other fired case. I agree it is the ammo. :) DF

Alan in GA

Hornady ammo....

even Hornady is capable of making CRAP ammo. This was my experience with some new 17HH ammo, purchased as soon as it was available. Friend purchased 850 rounds for a Montana varmint shooting trip, so we had a good 'test lot'.
Primer pockets were the issue, as well as malformed concave brass case faces.
It's the ammo, and of course COULD BE a chamber a bit large (long - excess headspace]as well.
From what you've posted, I vote 'ammo' 98% the cause if not 100%.
Could be deeper primer pockets, could also be rounded case shoulders. I've found that problem even in a 1950's box of Winchester 257 Robt ammo. I lined up all 20 rounds on a granite machine trued surface, and it was EASY to see two of the factory new rounds had very sloped shoulders, which is where the headspace is held on a rimless case. They misfired!

...the ammo.