War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I'm sure there were many others, but what Confederate cavalryman said "I never met a Yankee I didn't want to kill"?

Sounds like Forrest, but many had reason to have made that statement.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What coastal fort never fell to naval bombardment, but fell within 15 minutes of its attack by ground troops?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We're going to have to change out cigars to something I actually like. How bout a glass of sweet tea?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
In Virginia there were a bunch of Federals about ready to sit down to dinner late one afternoon when they were surprised to see rabbits and foxes running through their encampment. These small creatures were soon followed by Confederates who overwhelmed those Federals and others further along. No one got any dinner that evening and most no breakfast the next day. Where might this have happened?

Resica

In Virginia there were a bunch of Federals about ready to sit down to dinner late one afternoon when they were surprised to see rabbits and foxes running through their encampment. These small creatures were soon followed by Confederates who overwhelmed those Federals and others further along. No one got any dinner that evening and most no breakfast the next day. Where might this have happened?

How about Chancellorsville, Virginia.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Big glass of sweet tea (or steaming mug of coffee at this hour) to Resica.

Resica

Who recruited and commanded the 1st and 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters through the Gettysburg Campaign?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Wouldn't that be the fellow who later invented a primer system for metallic cartridges?

Resica

Wouldn't that be the fellow who later invented a primer system for metallic cartridges?

That I don't know, but he did come up with these things after he resigned in 1864. He invented numerous engines of war, including a twin-screw submarine gunboat, a torpedo boat for evading torpedo nets, a long-distance rangefinder and a distance fuse for shrapnel.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Hiram Berdan. After the War he invented lots of military stuff including the Berdan primer still in use today in lots of military ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.