War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resica

After Phil Sheridan's famous ride from this town during the Battle of Cedar Creek, his horse Rienzi was renamed this.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Off topic but important for folks to know before you go to the polls next Tuesday.

Resica

Speaking of Winchester Virginia, besides being the hometown of Patsy Cline, how many times did it change hands during our war?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Oh that one would definitely take me to Google. I will let it rest a while in case someone else knows before I go there.

TNGIRL

This is kinda off and on the subject. A friend sent it to me and I enjoyed watching it. Hopefuly ya'll will as well. And it might even have been posted here before, so without looking thru the pages and pages, here it might be again!!!:bounce:

westcobbdog

This man was a Union General who was pretty good at keeping the Confederate troops supplied with commissary type items, from the Red River to campaigns back East.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Speaking of Winchester Virginia, besides being the hometown of Patsy Cline, how many times did it change hands during our war?

Time is up. According to the Encyclopedia Virginia, over 70 times, the most contested city in the War.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This man was a Union General who was pretty good at keeping the Confederate troops supplied with commissary type items, from the Red River to campaigns back East.

Commissary Banks while in the Shenandoah Valley.

westcobbdog

I thought it would be a good idea to lanch a raid on mules. Starting out with 900 of them, towards the end most were broken down. We ended up getting captured along with my 1500 man command. After I got tricked into surrendering, I tried to unsurrender. Sent to Libby prison, I ended up tunneling out and escaping.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I thought it would be a good idea to lanch a raid on mules. Starting out with 900 of them, towards the end most were broken down. We ended up getting captured along with my 1500 man command. After I got tricked into surrendering, I tried to unsurrender. Sent to Libby prison, I ended up tunneling out and escaping.

I think you are talking about a cavalry action in Alabama or Missisippi. It must have been early in the war before Andersonville existed or the raiders wouldnt have been shipped all the way to Richmond.
I assume you are asking for the commanding officers name. Cant say as I remember that.:huh:

westcobbdog

I think you are talking about a cavalry action in Alabama or Missisippi. It must have been early in the war before Andersonville existed or the raiders wouldnt have been shipped all the way to Richmond.
I assume you are asking for the commanding officers name. Cant say as I remember that.:huh:

Abel Streight is the man as answered by Resica. This raid was Streights idea, along with using the more durable mules over horses. He marched away with 1500 men but only 900 mules..figured they would forage the rest. Forest bluffed Streight into surrender when they found out the bridge leading to Rome ga was heavily defended. Cannon factory was the objective in Rome. Forrest and Streight met in no man's land, around 20 miles from Rome. Forest had a few cannon go in circles to continue to go thru a visible opening between ridges. He moved up into position at least 15 cannon as counted by Streight. he had 2 cannon. Then he marched troops in a circular pattern to appear arriving and massing. Forest dogged Streight three days and nights. He only had 600 men but Abel Streight surrendered 1500. Forest rode off into N Alabama to fight again after making his deposit and the prisoners were invited to a huge party the town of Rome threw that night!

Justus had my other question right.

Resica

I'm sure there were many others, but what Confederate cavalryman said "I never met a Yankee I didn't want to kill"?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You are Colonel Abel Streight.

Abel Streight is the man as answered by Resica. This raid was Streights idea, along with using the more durable mules over horses. He marched away with 1500 men but only 900 mules..figured they would forage the rest. Forest bluffed Streight into surrender when they found out the bridge leading to Rome ga was heavily defended. Cannon factory was the objective in Rome. Forrest and Streight met in no man's land, around 20 miles from Rome. Forest had a few cannon go in circles to continue to go thru a visible opening between ridges. He moved up into position at least 15 cannon as counted by Streight. he had 2 cannon. Then he marched troops in a circular pattern to appear arriving and massing. Forest dogged Streight three days and nights. He only had 600 men but Abel Streight surrendered 1500. Forest rode off into N Alabama to fight again after making his deposit and the prisoners were invited to a huge party the town of Rome threw that night!

Justus had my other question right.

Looks like Gary and I were typing at the same time. I didnt know he had posted when I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.