Hogs + Food Plots = Anger

catch22

Well, we timed it perfect this year. Had our plots mowed and tilled and waiting on rain. We picked a Friday and commenced planting. Got all our seed and fertilizer in the ground. That night and the next day got good rain (this was about a month ago).

Our property is about 2 miles long and up to 3/4 mile wide. We planted about 10 plots from one end to the other.

The next weekend we were hoping to see some germination, instead most of our plots looked like you had ran the harrows over them again. The hogs had rooted up big areas in each plot, and wiping out a couple of the smaller plots all together.

I thought last year was a fluke because of no rain, but we had cameras on plots this year (NO FEEDERS IN SOME) and the hogs spent all night in some of them.

Just thought that was alot of work for such small seeds (wheat, oats, rye).

we are so aggravated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

misterpink

They have tore my oats to pieces. Not eating the oats, just rooting. Very frustrating. They are doing good in the areas not hit. Shoot em all!

catch22

hogs

They have tore my oats to pieces. Not eating the oats, just rooting. Very frustrating. They are doing good in the areas not hit. Shoot em all!

we shoot everyone we see, but its a waste of bullets. I think we killed 30 last year with our rifles on 900 acres. It didnt make a dent in the population. They are thicker than they were last year

Lilly001

To have any real effect on the pig population you need big traps so you can catch the entire sounder. Otherwise one sow can repopulate the are by herself (ok, she needs a boar to help).

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
They do make a mess! I think a hog can breed when they are 6 months old and I was told that one female, with her offspring, can yield 60 (piglets/multiple litters)hogs after 14 months. Hard to keep ahead of them!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have taken corn mixed with seed and put both together back on the plots destroyed and they replanted for me while I was gon.

I have put seed in feeders. Spin type and hogs planted that to.
Move the feeder and repeat.

We are over ran as well. Just some hints.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
we shoot everyone we see, but its a waste of bullets. I think we killed 30 last year with our rifles on 900 acres. It didnt make a dent in the population. They are thicker than they were last year
We've taken 30 off of 3000 acres in the last 2 weeks. Over a hundred this year and it hasn't put a dent in them
To have any real effect on the pig population you need big traps so you can catch the entire sounder. Otherwise one sow can repopulate the are by herself (ok, she needs a boar to help).

This. We've got several corral type traps and 6-8 cage traps we run when we are there along with several members hunting feeders with night vision. We haven't put a dent in the population but we've been eating good

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Are yall running corn feeders?

Ive noticed on my new club. The two propertys were people run feeders during the off season have lots of hog sign. The other two have very little.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Are yall running corn feeders?

Ive noticed on my new club. The two propertys were people run feeders during the off season have lots of hog sign. The other two have very little.

Our club is in the southern zone. There's feeders running year round. It's the only way to consistently kill them. Our population has gotten bigger since they legalized baiting. We also had a member that owns a fenced hog hunting operation. We think he was dumping surplus hogs on our place. Never caught him and can't prove it but we have way more hogs now than we've had in the last 18 years

95g atl

we had hogs destroy several acres of corn in our food plots a few years back. Sadly, we haven't planted corn again.....

We did shoot a big hog that i'm sure was the main character and the destruction stabilized.

Try a large corral trap for the hogs............?

Have to put dogs on the ground to have any real affect traps are good but as good. With dogs you catch and hogs and run more off doesn't harm the deer hunting contrary to common belief. More than happy to take care of the hogs for you