Sick tree

bacon6

1 of my crabapple trees seems sick, was in full foliage till few days ago now most leaves are falling off and it looks bad, tree is in its 4th year, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 272

Forest Grump

It is probably the early stage of fireblight. Later you will get some crispy leaves & more classic shepherd's crook shoots. If they are native crabapples, they are extremely susceptible to it. It's a little early for borers, they don't lay until summer. Fireblight was really bad last year, so there will be a lot of inoculum for the bees to spread around.

bacon6

Thanks for your help got it trimmed up and sprayed with vinegar water now hopefully it will recover

glynr329

All of my pear trees some of the leaves are turning black and some of the other trees didn't put leaves on until late. Look pretty bad about 1/4 of leaves put out so far. I started cutting them down yesterday. Touch cutting trees down that you watched grow for 8 to 10 years and great producers but scared it will affect other trees.

Forest Grump

All of my pear trees some of the leaves are turning black and some of the other trees didn't put leaves on until late. Look pretty bad about 1/4 of leaves put out so far. I started cutting them down yesterday. Touch cutting trees down that you watched grow for 8 to 10 years and great producers but scared it will affect other trees.

Don't go to that extreme, if you cut every tree that shows some fireblight infection in the South, you won't have any apples or pears, few plums either. Last year every Callery (Bradford) pear I saw had fireblight. If it is just in the leaves & small stems, the tree will survive.

Prune out infected wood in winter. If you have repeated years of it or are worried about having more trees affected, spray with streptomycin weekly beginning at bud break until petal fall. Even if you remove infected trees, bees will still bring you fireblight from natural reservoirs, like wild plum. Best solution is resistant varieties, but there are no immune varieties. Water (from the ground, not overhead) during stress periods to maximize vigor in the trees. Once the tree is infected, spray won't help this year, so no benefit to run out & spray now.

The slow leafing out was because we had weird winter weather & they have trouble figuring out what to do.