If you will have me.....

Cadillyak

First let me introduce myself. Name is Andre and fishing is my game just like every one else (minus the name). Originally from Chicago fishing lakes and ponds, the military brought me to San Diego. Got bit with the saltwater bug and have pretty much been there since. I have done a bit of freshwater fishing, but saltwater rules out here. Got a wife, kids, and it's time to buy some land (that will come later)

Well the cost of living out here has got me fed up and I am on my way out to Georgia, Alpharetta to be exact. This city life out here is simply too fast for me. I've been reading reports and posts for about a month and I must say, this is the commaderie ive been missing. More help than harm. Share and don't horde. Quite impressive.

I've read posts about carp catchers with the capitan and first mate (dog) (excellent write ups), record catfish, striper goals (1000lbs in a summer), loads of crappie and panfish, spotted bass (hated), jerk pleasure boaters and skiers, and gators to boot.

I want no secrets. I want no hand outs. I merely want to introduce myself and ask, will you have me, lol.

I've had boats, and kayaks (love them), and now have a float tube. I know Georgia has gators, and gators a tubes don't mix. Would u suggest selling? I prob will just keep it just in case as it's a sweet setup). Any lakes that someone can suggest near Alpharetta??

Hope to hear from everyone. Good bad or ugly.

*God fearing and fish willing*

61BelAir

Welcome. You shouldn't have to worry about gators and your float tube if you stay near Alpharetta and above. I haven't seen one big enough to worry about in the middle GA area for several years....they've all been under 8'. I guess where there are little ones there are bound to be big ones though. I for one would feel a lot safer fishing from a tube in freshwater than in salt.....floating along like a topwater shark lure. LOL

If you like it, I say keep it and get a kayak, jon boat, or maybe something like a bass tracker.

Cadillyak

Yea, have caught my fair share of sharks from the tube. Nothing crazy like great whites though. Typical leopard sharks mostly. Thanks for the tips.

snapdog

Lots of trout in the river around your area .

across the river

Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, and the upper Chattahoochee river will be your " local bodies of water. Look up threads on those three and you can find plenty of info. Lanier is known for striped bass and spotted bass, and there are plenty of trout in the river. You really don't have to worry about alligators anywhere above the fall line which extends from Columbus to Macon to Augusta You aren't really anywhere close to it, so feel free to use your float tube.

Ben Athens

Welcome to Georgia. We have a multi Species state here. Both fresh and salt water opportunities. The chattahooce around Alpharetta offers a lot of fishing for your float tube. Just be mindful of the generation schedule as the water level is controlled by a dam.

StriperrHunterr

Welcome. In Alpharetta you're right in the middle of all the action. Like has been said, floating is good around here with no gators worth mentioning. There's reports of one or two around the area, but they're always someone's pet that's been released for one reason or another. The water just isn't warm enough to support them.

If you come to Lanier just be mindful that warm weather draws out the idiots some of which who will try to swamp a yak for nothing other than they think it's funny. Then add in alcohol and inexperience and you've got a recipe for danger. Stick to the smaller water, creek backs and such, in the warm season and keep your head on a swivel.