Any one ever had good luck fishing in montana at

firebreather

Rock creek , looks like we're gonna get a chance to go in July

TheTroutWhisperer

Don't know that stream but should be good. The runoff season will be over and you should be good to go! Ants and hoppers should be fun to use in July. I'll be out there mid June myself on the Madison and smaller streams in the Big Sky area.

FARMS100

good fishing

Jimmy
I will be going to fish in colorado sept 1, we will be there 10 days and plan fishing these streams.
SAN JUAN--FRYING PAN--CRYSTAL-- ROARING FORK--
ENCAMPMENT. I would like to know if we have made a
good choice for our trip.
AL

TheTroutWhisperer

Al, hope you don't mind if I comment. The Pan just below the dam where the "toilet bowl" is and just below that is "the flats" is good to fish if not to crowded. Mysis shrimp with 5x floro should get you bit. The Roaring fork in the town of Basalt is great but some of the most difficult wading I have ever done. All of the rocks are round and treacherous to walk on. Also hit a section at El Jebel off of Catherine Stone road, there is a nature area there, walk up stream and fish all of that. My brother had two huge browns break him off when fishing a hopper behind the big rocks that are near the bank. Those things hit and looked like a torpedo heading toward the center of that river where the water is really fast, not much he could do with them. The Taylor is really good if you can get over around the Gunnison area. Sorry I can get pretty excited talking about fishing out west. I'll be in CO myself the third week of September. Can't wait!! Don't know anything about the other rivers on your list.

Elkhntr

One of the finest in Montana and thankfully doesn't get the press! Where are you staying cause you'll wind up fishing the Clark Fork and the Blackfoot too.
For fishing conditions try this site, Rock Creek Merch. http://www.rcmerc.com/
And you might want to listen to Montana Outdoor radio on KGVO. You can stream the program on computer or cell, 10AM on Friday and 9AM on Saturday. Get live fishing reports from all of Montana.
http://newstalkkgvo.com/.
Ill be out there fishing the head of the Big Hole in August then over to the Lochsa in September.

firebreather

One of the finest in Montana and thankfully doesn't get the press! Where are you staying cause you'll wind up fishing the Clark Fork and the Blackfoot too.
For fishing conditions try this site, Rock Creek Merch. http://www.rcmerc.com/
And you might want to listen to Montana Outdoor radio on KGVO. You can stream the program on computer or cell, 10AM on Friday and 9AM on Saturday. Get live fishing reports from all of Montana.
http://newstalkkgvo.com/.
Ill be out there fishing the head of the Big Hole in August then over to the Lochsa in September.

Thanks , I really don't know , a friend of mine has been staying out there for yrs for about 6 months a yr and recently bought land and is building an place that would be ready for a visit in July so , why not , he said Missoula would be the quickest airport to be picked up at , so I'm down for a new experience,
I had thought about driving out there but only 10 days total off , so flying with a rental might be better , I'll pm you when I find out

FARMS100

My trip outwest

troutwhisper
I know I maybe messing up this thread.
Your help is exactly what I'm looking for 3 of us are going for first time and also very new flyfisherman, none have any
time on water so any thing we will learn will help.
THANKS-----------AL

TheTroutWhisperer

Al, I don't think the guys in this thread will mind. If you are new to flyfishing you can really get humbled fishing up at the Bowl on the Pan. You have a very real chance of hooking up with a 8-10 trout in there. Using that small tippet you can not pull hard on them and be ready to chase it downstream if that is where they head. These fish know what to do to break you off and do not like being caught! Stop in one of the flyshops in Basalt and pick up several Mysis shrimp and tie up a dandem rig with a piece or two of shot about 18" above your top bug. You will want to use a strike indicator about 4' above your bottom bug. If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a floro leader do like I do and buy mono leaders, cut off the bottom 20" and do a blood knot with some floro tippet....... your making me want to go fishing!!

Dean

Rock Creek

Rock Creek is basically along side a good (by Montana standards) gravel road for about 30 miles. The float season for Rock Creek will be over but you will still see a lot of activity (camping and wade fishing) the length of RC.

Be sure to stop in RC Merc as noted earlier, pick up some tan, cream colored spruce moth patterns and maybe some attractor with purple tied in it (yes, purple). Anyway, the trout in RC see a lot of flies, but the trout are in there too. RC is one of those waters that you catch browns exactly where you would expect them to be, it's just that every hold where you expect them to be may not hold a fish. In other words, cover a lot of water, its a great wading river.

Jimmy Harris

Jimmy
I will be going to fish in colorado sept 1, we will be there 10 days and plan fishing these streams.
SAN JUAN--FRYING PAN--CRYSTAL-- ROARING FORK--
ENCAMPMENT. I would like to know if we have made a
good choice for our trip.
AL

Man, you may never come home! This will be a fantastic trip. Just know that some of these streams can be pretty technical so reach out to the local shops for up to date info.

FARMS100

western trip

jimmy--thanks
I got all my infro from here and ngto site, if you will read
and learn from these 2 sites you can learn a lot.
Those boats I build in grnhouse in the winter are doing a good job for me.
THANKS FOR REPLY------AL