What do you call a bedding area ?????

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have found one thing to be true about bedding areas.A buck knows where does bed & inthe middle of the day during the rut he will visit & jump them from there beds. That is when the chase starts. Locate your stands in funnel areas between bedding areas. small creeks with thickets on both sides is aexample. Roads where it looks like a major trail going back an forth around thick areas. Once the chase starts it can go on for awhile.
These is a great thread topic. alot of good info here.

Flaustin1

I find beds and droppings everywhere. I cant say for certain ive ever found a "bedding area". Ive jumped them out of open hardwoods, thick creek bottoms, nearly impenetrable pines and everything in between.

Old Bart

I think of bedding areas where the animal has the highest chance of survival.

Check out this buck bed, he can see & smell everything down the ridge while the evening thermals allow him to smell anything above him.

Attachments

• buck-bed.jpg
    buck-bed.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 539

Derek Snider

In my opinion, mature deer will bed on a hillside or elevation and have the wind to their back and be able to see upwind of their location. They will typically face away from the wind. This way, they smell ( their most trusted and best sense) what's downwind and see anything coming from upwind. These place include high spots in fields, side of ridges, ditches or creek bottoms, etc. They definitely frequent doe bedding areas during the rut and will be on their feet late morning after does have bedded seeking out the does bedding areas. As aforementioned, they will jump does that smell "right" and thus creating the midday chase that happens often during the chase phase of the rut.

kbuck1

In my opinion, mature deer will bed on a hillside or elevation and have the wind to their back and be able to see upwind of their location. They will typically face away from the wind. This way, they smell ( their most trusted and best sense) what's downwind and see anything coming from upwind. These place include high spots in fields, side of ridges, ditches or creek bottoms, etc. They definitely frequent doe bedding areas during the rut and will be on their feet late morning after does have bedded seeking out the does bedding areas. As aforementioned, they will jump does that smell "right" and thus creating the midday chase that happens often during the chase phase of the rut.

I think you got your up and down winds backwards. Everything else I agree with.