Out of state lease, how do you....

treadwell

Just wondering, as I've never been in an out of state lease/club before. Let's say the property is in Illinois, it has 750 acres, of which 500 is ag, 100 is wooded and 150 is open CRP grass. There are 10 members in the group, each paid $2,000 as their fees, and all are allowed to turkey hunt, gun and bow hunt for deer. Let's say it has a farm house for sleeping quarters, and members have been in for a couple of years and three new guys started this season. Looking at topo map it is very obvious there are 4 great funnels on the property and one long east/west ridge line in the wooded area. In other words, 5 really hot spots. So, does everyone get a chance at hunting these areas, or is it sonority pulls the best spots, newbies and not so newbies get what's left, or do you draw spots? In other words, there's a couple of spots folks will be slobbering over, what do you do? BTW, not currently looking, just curious. Thanks.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I guess I’d keep looking for a club.
I D K. Never been in one.

chrislibby88

I think you missed a major part of the equation. 5 of the 7 old guard have small food plots that they hunt exclusively, cause they can ride the 4wheeler to the bottom of the tower. The other 2 serious guys are the ones that you may have to arm wrastle for the funnels. Just eat your spinach and you should be able to beat them and kill all the big bucks.

Jim Boyd

I can see and hear the crying from GON “reviewers” and club haters already.

In the scenario from the OP, there are gonna be two pinch points: 5-15 November and shotgun season #1.

With only 100 acres of timber, 10 members is likely too many.

Timber can vary in quality and in the way it is distributed on the farm.

It may be that you can hunt the whole farm and it may be that really only a small % gets hunted.

Maps and boots (or flip flops) would spell that out.

My Illinois farm that I have access to is about 350 acres and perhaps 15% tillable. All of the timber is not really huntable due to topography.

I can hunt two people for a week to 10 days - with very little debate about who is going where. When I go, I take a friend or a brother (most years) and when there are two of us, we just take turns day to day choosing first.

I could hunt 3 people for a week, I think and then, if I did that, I would just go 1-2-3 on the choosing.

It is simply all about respect and love for one another.

Just because you choose last on any given day does not mean a nasty looking beast won’t wander past your stand.

Gator89

I can see and hear the crying from GON “reviewers” and club haters already.

In the scenario from the OP, there are gonna be two pinch points: 5-15 November and shotgun season #1.

With only 100 acres of timber, 10 members is likely too many.

Timber can vary in quality and in the way it is distributed on the farm.

It may be that you can hunt the whole farm and it may be that really only a small % gets hunted.

Maps and boots (or flip flops) would spell that out.

My Illinois farm that I have access to is about 350 acres and perhaps 15% tillable. All of the timber is not really huntable due to topography.

I can hunt two people for a week to 10 days - with very little debate about who is going where. When I go, I take a friend or a brother (most years) and when there are two of us, we just take turns day to day choosing first.

I could hunt 3 people for a week, I think and then, if I did that, I would just go 1-2-3 on the choosing.

It is simply all about respect and love for one another.

Just because you choose last on any given day does not mean a nasty looking beast won’t wander past your stand.

That is how we do our out of state lease in GA. Hash it out over morning coffee.

Jim Boyd

I think you missed a major part of the equation. 5 of the 7 old guard have small food plots that they hunt exclusively, cause they can ride the 4wheeler to the bottom of the tower. The other 2 serious guys are the ones that you may have to arm wrastle for the funnels. Just eat your spinach and you should be able to beat them and kill all the big bucks.

I would suggest you missed a major part of the equation.

Most out of state Illinois or Midwest bow hunters (and likely most in state) are far too over the top to ride a 4 wheeler anywhere near the stand and most sure are not gonna hunt day after day on a small food plot.

Most are on trails, fence crossings, ditch crossings or timber edges - and many are there for 12 hour stretches.

The cost to hunt, the distances, the big bucks and the dedication that is required, coupled with a compressed rut - create a different hunter.

I am an old man and will gladly take the SXS or ATV close to the stand in the south. I will also gladly walk 1/2 mile to get to my Illinois stands - much of which can either be up or downhill.

chrislibby88

I would suggest you missed a major part of the equation.

Most out of state Illinois or Midwest bow hunters (and likely most in state) are far too over the top to ride a 4 wheeler anywhere near the stand and most sure are not gonna hunt day after day on a small food plot.

Most are on trails, fence crossings, ditch crossings or timber edges - and many are there for 12 hour stretches.

The cost to hunt, the distances, the big bucks and the dedication that is required, coupled with a compressed rut - create a different hunter.

I am an old man and will gladly take the SXS or ATV close to the stand in the south. I will also gladly walk 1/2 mile to get to my Illinois stands - much of which can either be up or downhill.
Well, you can tell I never hunted Illinois. I know how the southern boys do it though.

Jim Boyd

Well, you can tell I never hunted Illinois. I know how the southern boys do it though.

I think people are people no matter where ya find them.

Some good, some bad.

Some good clubs and some bad clubs.

Hard to paint them all with the same brush.

Someone hunts a bad club (or three) and decides he hates it. He finds private land and gets permission, he leases a farm for himself, he hunts public, he buys land, whatever - but, he will often then paint all clubs with the same brush.

I’ve been in a few bad ones, I have been in clubs I felt neutral about and I have been in some good ones.

I run 844 acres with some guys now and I would say we run a good one. Some folks that came and left would most assuredly argue otherwise, however.

For the guys that left with hard feelings - I would say generally it was part them and also part me.

Very very hard to keep the landowners and all members happy…..

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Each club is different and so are their rules. I’ve seen a lease where each member had their own areas. I’ve heard of “club” stands with pin systems etc…. If the Newbie gets stuck in just a certain area, you can bet it’ll be the worst area to be. If the vacancy came from the member who had the best area, an existing member would surely take it over and vacate theirs……and leave it for the newbie.
As far as the hot spots, it sounds like you already found where they should be, just need to confirm from the ground.

DAVE

My opinion is 10 is to many on 100 acres of timber, 150 acres of CRP could make a difference depending how tall and how distributed it is. 500 acres of soy beans could be fun before it is cut, 500 acres of uncut corn would be frustrating. It would matter to me if the timber is in one tract or a bunch of small sections. Either way when half that number show up to hunt unless they stay outside of the cover they will send every deer in there down the street to the neighbors which may be a mile or more away when bow hunting and if 10 show up opening day of gun I wouldn't count on seeing any after the first day. Late season could be good after most hunters have quit hunting. Bottom line is you won't ever know until you do it. Outside of opening days and the rut it is likely few of the members will show up unless they are local. Don't miss out, try it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Come to Oklahoma. I'm in a club that has about 40,000 acres under lease across 7 or 8 properties. 110 members. All but two properties are at least a section of land. Dues are $2500 per year for your family, and you can take guests for $100 per day (or do an extra work day or two and bank free guest days). Online reservation system is first come-first serve, other than deer rifle opener, and that's a lottery for the opening weekend. Other than that, you hunt wherever you want, as long as the max number of hunters per area isn't exceeded. 4 of the leases have some type of lodging (camper, cabin) that is free to members on a reservation basis.

I hunted one specific lease (9000 acres) this past year (my first in the club), and only ran into another hunter once, and even though I joined late and missed the rifle opener lottery, I picked a location that no one else had selected, and shot a decent 8 pointer opening saturday evening.

Family membership is you, spouse, and any kids under 25, plus any grandkids up to 19. Hunt, fish, hogs, ducks, etc...

Went to the board meeting last week. They announced there are about 8 openings before we're at capacity.

Last edited:

Duckdiver

I keep a buncha trail cam pics on my phone of great deer. I show them off around the fire the night before and tell everyone right where they were;)... I act like I've got cameras near every stand on the place lol. Then as we have a few cold ones everybody starts picking their stands for the next mornings hunt and I just take whatever is left. :ROFLMAO: This will only work if you have the dates way off on the cameras because they know when I got to camp. Like hard horn bucks but the dates say June/July. It may not be the most honest way to get a good stand but boy is it funny! And the hole crew is busting with excitement in the morning going after those giants!!!

treadwell

I keep a buncha trail cam pics on my phone of great deer. I show them off around the fire the night before and tell everyone right where they were;)... I act like I've got cameras near every stand on the place lol. Then as we have a few cold ones everybody starts picking their stands for the next mornings hunt and I just take whatever is left. :ROFLMAO: This will only work if you have the dates way off on the cameras because they know when I got to camp. Like hard horn bucks but the dates say June/July. It may not be the most honest way to get a good stand but boy is it funny! And the hole crew is busting with excitement in the morning going after those giants!!!
VERY creative idea. If I ever do join, I may spring for some 25 yr old scotch.

Havana Dude

I despise drawing stands out of a hat. I was in a situation like that for a couple years. Hated it.
I also despise hunting around large groups of people. Large groups meaning more than me, unless my kids can go.

Those are my opinions.

What are the chances that all 10 would able to be there at the same time? I honestly don’t know what the fairest option would be. If all agreed, maybe try the draw method. I tend to agree that 10 is too many, given property layout. I would think if 10 can afford the 2k, then more than likely, 5 of them could do 4k. If the 5 can be open and honest(LOL), then if a couple guys are seeing good bucks, they get 48 hours, then change it up. Either way, somebody is going to be legitimately ticked off at some point.

slow motion

Last year it was first come first serve. Never an issue that I was aware of. 13 members on 1600 acres though. I will offer this, look at the layout of the property. Some tiny treelines and drainages Midwest deer will travel. Even weed lines. Those wide planters can't plant spots that aren't fairly even. Ends up an overgrown spot. If it leads into a treeline they will often use it to access a field. At least that's what I've seen in my vast (1 season) experience. Just saying there may be more huntable land than you think. Deep woods seem to be more bedding areas near planted fields. Just my .02. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

NCMTNHunter

I start spreading rumors early about where I’ve found good sign and big velvet bucks. Then I maintain radio silence for a few weeks leading up to the season. When I hear folks start bickering about who is hunting the spots I’ve been blabbing about I take the high road and let them hunt the spots. Then I go to the spots where I really found good sign and big bucks. The key is the silent period. It keeps em from figuring out what you’re up to.