have about had it with boss buck feeders

old florida gator

bears,coons ,birds, hogs and squirrels have been tearing up our boss buck feeders , I am thinking about going back to metal feeders. using bondo to repair them and going to put up hog panels too. getting to be a real expensive deal. any comments.

Triple C

Are you using the gravity feeders with with the port tubes? I'm looking for 2 more and can't decide between the Texas Hunter 300 lb drum feeder which I'm using for the 5th season or trying one of the Boss Buck gravity feeders. Looked like they were bomb proof on their website. The Texas Hunter is bomb proof but not squirrel and coon proof unless you keep the legs greased. Looked like the BB feeders are critter proof from the pics.

Can you post a pic of your BB feeder?

Deernut3

I just bought the moultrie pro metal feeder and the spin assembly has a built in varmint guard. So far (3 months) I've had no problems with coons and squirrels robbing them or chewing their way in.

shdw633

like that would be cheaper.....:rolleyes:

and like the boss buck feeders, it seems like a good idea in the beginning but your going to hate it before it's all over!!! :bounce:

I just bought the moultrie pro metal feeder and the spin assembly has a built in varmint guard. So far (3 months) I've had no problems with coons and squirrels robbing them or chewing their way in.

Yeah but then the coons just eat it off the ground after the motor slings it everywhere

Scrapy

Banned
Try this. Put a coon feeder bucket up off the ground. ( A coon bucket has a three inch nipple of two inch pipe sticking out near the bottom). Then load the bucket with six inches of corn and an inch of decent dog feed like that right on up. The coon will scratch out the corn for the deer while he is getting after the dogfeed.

Triple C

bears,coons ,birds, hogs and squirrels have been tearing up our boss buck feeders , I am thinking about going back to metal feeders. using bondo to repair them and going to put up hog panels too. getting to be a real expensive deal. any comments.

Too early to tell cause I just put it out this weekend. Made by Banks Outdoors. www.banksoutdoors.com. I bought the 250 lb model. Also comes in smaller and larger sizes. Out of the box it looks to be bomb proof. 4x4 treated post inserts into the base so no angled legs for critter to climb. Just ordered a critter guard like we use on our wood duck boxes to make sure coons and squirrels can't climb the post and then reach the tube ports. Not sure they can reach the ports anyway. Put a camera on it and will check it next time down to see if any squirrels or coons are able to reach the ports. Critter guard will pretty much guarantee they can't.
Feeder in ground.jpg

Feeder filled with feed.jpg

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Just slosh the corn out on the ground

MadMallard

Hey Triple C been looking at that same banks feeder to go along with my Texas Hunter feeder, interested to see how it works out. Are you mixing protein feed with corn?

Triple C

Hey Triple C been looking at that same banks feeder to go along with my Texas Hunter feeder, interested to see how it works out. Are you mixing protein feed with corn?

Looking forward to see how it does myself! No, we don't mix corn with the feed. Comes pre-mixed with corn from Oglethorpe Feed and Farm Supply. Started using it last year after not much success with protein pellets. Deer love it. It's a little sticky due to the molasses in the mix but works well if feed ports are fully opened.

Texas Hunter feeders have been bomb proof except for squirrels and coons climbing the legs to get a little food. Hoping to totally eliminate that problem with this feeder.

old florida gator

good luck on not feeding pigs, they will run deer off only way is to put up hog panels and make deer hop the fence. so far this works for us. blanky blank blanky blank hogs.