The spirit teaches

Israel

BANNED
Brothers, read these scriptures just last night and I simply wanted to share it with you. I hope it will speak to you!

John 7
37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Jeremiah 17:13
O Lord, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water.

Thanks be to God.

hobbs27

Peter had a gift that no man has ever had since the first century...So far.. Anyone claiming to have the gift Peter was given has been a fraud...this does not happen today..

Acts 5:14 And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, 15 so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them.

Bama4me

I simply believe in all Scripture! But I believe in Christ because He first drew me to Him by His Spirit. I believe in the Power of the Holy Spirit working in the life of the believer. I accept that He speaks to me as I pray and leads me according to His will for me. I know he has lead me away from danger by the HS, he has healed folks in my life by the HS, and He has spoken so lovingly and perfectly into my life that I cannot deny and will not deny His power, distributed as He sees fit to distribute it. And He shows He did all of this in Scripture too. So He did prove His Word to me with signs following!

The very fact that we have assurance we are children of God rests in the Spirit making it known to each one of us!

Questions... how do you know the "leading" is from the Holy Spirit rather than from say... a conscience that's been trained by study of the Scriptures? How do you know the healings have been a result of the Holy Spirit and not by the Father's providential work?

I'm not disputing the fact that the Spirit leads us today nor that He is not active... but what Hobbs states above is true. People today who are not endowed to speak in languages they haven't previously studied... people today are not endowed to lay hands on someone and distribute the Holy Spirit... people today can't pray and then command dead people to arise.

Again, for anyone who believes otherwise, I offer you a challenge. Let's take the person who supposedly has the gift to raise people from the dead to a cemetery - I know of two recent sisters who died whose family would love to see them raised. Let's take the person who supposedly has the gift of tongues into an assembly of foreigners and see if a foreigner can understand his/her language. Then, let's see a person who supposedly can do what Paul did in Acts 19 - lay hands on someone and then watch the Holy Spirit endow them with the gifts of tongues/prophecy.

Like Thomas, when I witness these things I'll be more than happy to share the beliefs of many of you. Youtube videos, scam artists that deal in illusion, etc. are not proof... Jesus and 1st Century believers publicly performed miracles that could not be denied and they were plain to see. Show me the individuals who can do these things and I'll convert to your belief system.

Until then, though, I refuse to follow Scriptures that have been taken out of context. I've asked before and I'll ask again... does Jesus' statement to the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:21 apply to each of us today?

Bama4me

You can claim He ceased because something "happened" that you say is His reference for stopping. Which you (and others)refer to in some very vague "first century" reference as to the time of it. Some by "the scriptures are complete."

At what pen stroke...did it (the gifts of the Spirit) end? When was the canon complete?

Were a few letters passed around...sufficient grounds for God to suspend (be careful now...for at least one of those letters...speaks most directly to manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit) His (to us) miraculous interventions?

Or did "God have to wait" for councils to conclude "what's in...what's out" into that time well past the first century?

So...till then God was "free" to intervene miraculously if He so chose? (This does not even begin to address those very councils, their presumed "Heavenly" endorsement...at least as would have to be assumed God was going to use as His "cut off" for manifesting Himself in ways the world cannot receive).

Did God retain the "Revelation" option...did He feel free to manifest Himself through gifts of the spirit while men quibbled over accepting the Book of Revelation as "inspired"...and into the canon?

Just because you claim the canon's completion (really...what does that even mean?) as the thing referenced that makes cessation "so"...does not make it...so. Nor does it mean that those who neither see that nor acknowledge it...hold the scriptures in contempt.
It would be very very difficult today for me to imagine anything less compelling than caring about whether you believe the faith of the Son of God is often expressed in the most inexplicable ways no less, nor differently than amongst His people at any other time.

As to the Bible...who told YOU, they... "those writings" ...are inspired scripture? How'd you get from a letter to a "son in the faith" to something not only intended for general publication...but also as to be elevated as showing the way of life? Who "told" any of us...it's OK to read another's private correspondence? We either know...or really are, rather presumptuous.

(But I am persuaded few things work to expose presumption quite so well as to be allowed to continue in it...till the unutterably deep well of grace provided as remedy against it is revealed.)

Peter references Paul's writing as such but once. We know Jesus referred (as did Paul and many others) to the Tanakh...as such. So...whose council/counsel do you follow? How many "books" does the real book...have?

"What's in...what's out"..."who's in...who's out"...what man doesn't put his finger on the scale? WHAT MAN?

Respectfully, the "vagueness" you speak of is the belief you subscribe to. Jesus promised the Spirit would bring "all the truth" to the apostles (John 16:14)... and the apostles were commanded to proclaim this entire truth to all nations (Matthew 28:18-20). When this truth would come, early Christians could become complete and mature (Ephesians 4:11ff/2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Yet... you say more is needed. You say that more "truth" is yet to be revealed. If more truth is needed, sir, then Christ has been very inefficient over the years - because it's taken Him almost 2000 years to deliver it to mankind. Today, if we're still needing information from the Holy Spirit in order to live our lives pleasing to the Father, then Jesus lied to His apostles and passages like 2 Peter 1:3 are falsehoods.

The "vagueness" you subscribe to wasn't known in the 3rd and 4th centuries by the church. Church leaders in the 1st 400 years of church history testify to the fading of these miracles - even though many attested to their presence in the days of the apostles (and the generation that followed). The reason the view you espouse today is so widely accepted in Christian circles is because of the influence of people like Wesley and Calvin - who under the umbrella of Calvinism popularized the doctrine of "illumination". One denomination after another accepted this doctrine or some variation of it - and in our day of "relative truth", it's an easy answer to claim "everyone is right" (after all, if the Spirit has "led" someone to a certain belief, then how can others claim it's wrong?).

As a result of this doctrine today, people rely on feelings more than God's revealed word. Yet, never in Scripture were people told that assurance came through feelings - rather through tangible actions (see 1 John for example). I believe in the "leading" idea (apart from the word) today, but I disagree with the source of the leading. Paul told the Thessalonians in the second letter that God would allow people to believe delusions when they'd reject the truth... and we see that everywhere today when it comes to this subject.

Israel

BANNED
respectfully, the "vagueness" you speak of is the belief you subscribe to. Jesus promised the spirit would bring "all the truth" to the apostles (john 16:14)... And the apostles were commanded to proclaim this entire truth to all nations (matthew 28:18-20). When this truth would come, early christians could become complete and mature (ephesians 4:11ff/2 timothy 3:16-17).

Yet... You say more is needed. You say that more "truth" is yet to be revealed. If more truth is needed, sir, then christ has been very inefficient over the years - because it's taken him almost 2000 years to deliver it to mankind. Today, if we're still needing information from the holy spirit in order to live our lives pleasing to the father, then jesus lied to his apostles and passages like 2 peter 1:3 are falsehoods.

The "vagueness" you subscribe to wasn't known in the 3rd and 4th centuries by the church. Church leaders in the 1st 400 years of church history testify to the fading of these miracles - even though many attested to their presence in the days of the apostles (and the generation that followed). The reason the view you espouse today is so widely accepted in christian circles is because of the influence of people like wesley and calvin - who under the umbrella of calvinism popularized the doctrine of "illumination". One denomination after another accepted this doctrine or some variation of it - and in our day of "relative truth", it's an easy answer to claim "everyone is right" (after all, if the spirit has "led" someone to a certain belief, then how can others claim it's wrong?).

As a result of this doctrine today, people rely on feelings more than god's revealed word. Yet, never in scripture were people told that assurance came through feelings - rather through tangible actions (see 1 john for example). I believe in the "leading" idea (apart from the word) today, but i disagree with the source of the leading. Paul told the thessalonians in the second letter that god would allow people to believe delusions when they'd reject the truth... And we see that everywhere today when it comes to this subject.

10-4.

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Questions... how do you know the "leading" is from the Holy Spirit rather than from say... a conscience that's been trained by study of the Scriptures? How do you know the healings have been a result of the Holy Spirit and not by the Father's providential work?

I'm not disputing the fact that the Spirit leads us today nor that He is not active... but what Hobbs states above is true. People today who are not endowed to speak in languages they haven't previously studied... people today are not endowed to lay hands on someone and distribute the Holy Spirit... people today can't pray and then command dead people to arise.

Again, for anyone who believes otherwise, I offer you a challenge. Let's take the person who supposedly has the gift to raise people from the dead to a cemetery - I know of two recent sisters who died whose family would love to see them raised. Let's take the person who supposedly has the gift of tongues into an assembly of foreigners and see if a foreigner can understand his/her language. Then, let's see a person who supposedly can do what Paul did in Acts 19 - lay hands on someone and then watch the Holy Spirit endow them with the gifts of tongues/prophecy.

Like Thomas, when I witness these things I'll be more than happy to share the beliefs of many of you. Youtube videos, scam artists that deal in illusion, etc. are not proof... Jesus and 1st Century believers publicly performed miracles that could not be denied and they were plain to see. Show me the individuals who can do these things and I'll convert to your belief system.

Until then, though, I refuse to follow Scriptures that have been taken out of context. I've asked before and I'll ask again... does Jesus' statement to the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:21 apply to each of us today?

Like I said in my previous post, may God richly bless you as you walk in Him!

hobbs27

I'm not disputing the fact that the Spirit leads us today nor that He is not active.

I had to go back several times in this thread to make sure... Because this was the basis of their argument. Unable to separate modern living in the New Testament with an active God leading us... And First century gifts of healing, tongues, and raising the dead.

Israel

BANNED

The getting from "one place" to another, if even seeking with what might be called...or seen as the deepest and most sincere motive, or presented even...a such, is, I am persuaded, always out of a man's hands.

A man knows his own desires, perhaps, or at least believes he does. If more firmly pressed he may come to the place where he touches need in whatever form and in some concluding believes this is the deepest he can ever go. It is mercy that never holds his blindness against him.

His believing is that there is nothing beyond his need as he perceives it, as he experiences it. Need defines, in whatever place he touches it, the limits to him of what he can accept...what is acceptable to be.

The place in which he cries the "Nooooo!" is appointed to each and every man. This "no" is no more summoned nor bidden, nor "thought out" and preconceived than the "ouch" or "Ohhhh" or "son of a ______" that follows a man whacking his thumb as he shingles a roof.

We are being made to utter from that same place a thing common to most all of us, that we more prefer to utter from easy chairs, pulpits, studies full of books and commentaries, before friendly faces and from computer desks and inside temple walls.
Jesus is Lord.

As surely as I do not get myself from any "one place" to another, I am totally unable to assist anyone with that, either.

But I can say that the faith of the Son of God is not a "belief system". But we'll all know one another even better, as we are learning to, even now, in the wine press.

What is inside...will come out. Whether whine or wine.

Last edited:

Bama4me

The getting from "one place" to another, if even seeking with what might be called...or seen as the deepest and most sincere motive, or presented even...a such, is, I am persuaded, always out of a man's hands.

A man knows his own desires, perhaps, or at least believes he does. If more firmly pressed he may come to the place where he touches need in whatever form and in some concluding believes this is the deepest he can ever go. It is mercy that never holds his blindness against him.

His believing is that there is nothing beyond his need as he perceives it, as he experiences it. Need defines, in whatever place he touches it, the limits to him of what he can accept...what is acceptable to be.

The place in which he cries the "Nooooo!" is appointed to each and every man. This "no" is no more summoned nor bidden, nor "thought out" and preconceived than the "ouch" or "Ohhhh" or "son of a ______" that follows a man whacking his thumb as he shingles a roof.

We are being made to utter from that same place a thing common to most all of us, that we more prefer to utter from easy chairs, pulpits, studies full of books and commentaries, before friendly faces and from computer desks and inside temple walls.
Jesus is Lord.

As surely as I do not get myself from any "one place" to another, I am totally unable to assist anyone with that, either.

But I can say that the faith of the Son of God is not a "belief system". But we'll all know one another even better, as we are learning to, even now, in the wine press.

What is inside...will come out. Whether whine or wine.

As usual, you speak in riddles instead of plainly. However, I'll comment on what you plainly do say - "faith of the Son of God is not a 'belief system'."

Semantics aside, you can't support that statement when looking at passages such as Galatians 1:6-10 and Jude 3. "The gospel" and "the faith once and for all delivered to the saints" is obviously a set of beliefs that people hold. Call it what you will, but the gospel has certain parameters attached to it...

Bama4me

I had to go back several times in this thread to make sure... Because this was the basis of their argument. Unable to separate modern living in the New Testament with an active God leading us... And First century gifts of healing, tongues, and raising the dead.

Just to clarify, I believe that the Spirit leads us today via the words that He inspired men to write. Not a leading that is independent from God's word...

I do believe the Spirit continues today to do "miraculous things", but not through people in the manner which was seen in NT days. I.e. while no one can pray/command a person to be healed, the hands of a doctor can be used by God in order to provide it.

Hope that helps...

hobbs27

Just to clarify, I believe that the Spirit leads us today via the words that He inspired men to write. Not a leading that is independent from God's word...

I do believe the Spirit continues today to do "miraculous things", but not through people in the manner which was seen in NT days. I.e. while no one can pray/command a person to be healed, the hands of a doctor can be used by God in order to provide it.

Hope that helps...

I agree.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Hope that helps...

This is where I feel your fallacy lies. You freely attribute miracles to the apostles and state that individuals like that don't exist today. The flaw you make is it seems to me you feel the power resided in the men. It didn't. They were simply vessels for the spirit to work thru. Same as today. Sure there are charlatans out there, but that doesn't confine God from performing true BIG miracles thru faithful vessels today for HIS GLORY.

Bama4me

This is where I feel your fallacy lies. You freely attribute miracles to the apostles and state that individuals like that don't exist today. The flaw you make is it seems to me you feel the power resided in the men. It didn't. They were simply vessels for the spirit to work thru. Same as today. Sure there are charlatans out there, but that doesn't confine God from performing true BIG miracles thru faithful vessels today for HIS GLORY.

Respectfully, the fallacy isn't mine... it's your's. And... you don't know what you're asserting about what I believe.

The power was NEVER because of the man - it always came via the Holy Spirit. What I'm saying is the Spirit doesn't use "vessels" today in the way He did then - the supernatural gifts bestowed upon Christians in the 1st Century ceased.

In that day, people received these supernatural gifts by 2 ways - baptism of the Holy Spirit (seen in Acts 2/10) and by apostles laying hands upon people (seen in Acts 8/19). People receiving the Holy Spirit in this manner were able to do miraculous things (heal sick, raise dead, etc.). God does not operate in that manner today. THAT'S what I'm saying.

BTW, God IS confined by what His word reveals. IF God has said He doesn't lie, then He cannot lie. IF God has said He will condemn those who don't believe in Him, then He won't save those who disbelieve. And before you go and say "you're limiting God", let me stop you. No person has ability to limit God... but God CAN limit Himself and reveal (through His word) what those limits are.