Marine battery

Lebowski

I need to replace all 4 batteries in my boat. Will likely get 3 size 29s + a starting battery. Any great deals around the Atlanta area? Will likely go for Everstarts or Exides, but looking for a deal/coupon. Thanks!

Andy O

Try J and J battery sales, 770-725-0225. They are very near Bear Creek reservoir. Great people, and very good deals.

Bream Pole

I've had best success with marine batteries made by East Penn. These would be Deka, Duracell, Some of Interstate's, Super Start sold by Oreilly Auto Parts. among others. I mention the latter because I recently bought one of theirs because they are close by and I would not be going out of town to Sams or Costco anytime soon. Costco or Sam's may be your best bet.

WayneB

I've had best success with marine batteries made by East Penn. These would be Deka, Duracell, Some of Interstate's, Super Start sold by Oreilly Auto Parts. among others. I mention the latter because I recently bought one of theirs because they are close by and I would not be going out of town to Sams or Costco anytime soon. Costco or Sam's may be your best bet.

I usually go after Deka myself, not sure about duracell, but Interstate made by anyone other than East Penn is junk.
Good to know about the superstart line.

61BelAir

I'm a cheapskate. I bought my batteries as seconds/blems from Battery Warehouse in Milledgeville for $40 each with exchange and a 6 month warranty. They are group 29 batteries and I've had them since October of 2016.

I used to have some complaints about them not holding a charge as long as I saw other people getting, but that turned out to be due to 2 other issues.
First off I was using a trickle charger to recharge them on either 2 or 10 amps. They hooked me up with a PowerMania onboard charger that is awesome and unlike most chargers it'll work fine with a drop chord.
Second - I was using a trolling motor that didn't have enough power for my boat. Sure it seemed to work fine to me, but it was apparently draining way too much current to stay out all day. It was an old 12 volt Motorguide Brute with I think less than 40 pounds thrust. Switching back to the 24 volt Johnson - OMC helped tremendously even though I think it's only 55 pounds thrust. Hopefully I'll be putting an 80# unit on it soon.

These batteries don't show any signs of going out, but even if they did this week I can say I've gotten my money out of them for sure.

TroyBoy30

the 31 series agm duracell from sams is a great option. I used them for years before i upgraded to relion 100ah lithiums

Bream Pole

East Penn makes Deka. It is their major battery that they sell and is their brand name as I understand it from looking at East Penn web site. The other battery manufactures are Exide and Johnson controls. The problem with Interstate is discovering if East Penn made the specific battery you are buying as all three make batteries for them. Most of the Marine Batteries East Penn makes are sold under private label such as Duracell.

Internet researh will reveal that while East Penn manufactures in total more batteries than Johnson or Exide quite a few are made by the other two. That includes auto batteries. Hard to determine who makes the most Marine batteries, but all three make quite a few each. East Penn's brand name AGM is Intimidator.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Thank you for the kind feedback. I went with 3 size 31 Exide batteries from Academy. Slightly more expensive ($109) than the Everstarts, but I'd rather deal w/ Academy than Wallyworld.