vaseline to stop coons from climbing up my feeder legs

old florida gator

anyone tried using vaseline to stop the coons from climbing my feeder legs and eating my deer feed. i am already using steel joint menders on the feeder ports , that didn't work.

any suggestions. :bounce::bounce:

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Axle grease works, but you have to re-apply it every so often as they will continue to try to climb and they remove some of the grease with each attempt. A 22lr to the head is a more permanent solution to your problem. Good Luck.

I put axle grease all over the legs of my feeders and on the feeders themselves to keep the squirrels from chewing them. Nothing worked. I watched coons and squirrels still climb the legs.

I ended up putting the feeder in between 2 large trees in the air 12' suspended on a cable. This only deterred the coons. Squirrels went right down the cable and still chewed the feeder lid.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Why not just trap and kill the coons?

rosewood

I tried vaseline, but it gets dirty after a week or so and you have to reapply. I tried thumb tacks with duct tape, worked good a for a few days, but they found a way around it. The carpet tack strips is an idea I hadn't tried. That sounds like a cheap fix.

Because the squirrels kept chewing holes in the bin and the raccoons kept ripping out the wiring, I quit using a broadcast feeder and went to a demand feeder made out of PVC pipe. So far, they have not been able to tear it up, however, they can eat all they want but only 1 at a time.

Rosewood

rosewood

tack strips dont work for us. Coons go right on up them.....extra grip I think :)

Just about everything I tried didn't work. The only cure was Duke's dog proof coon traps. Now those things worked well. Can of sardines would set at least 3 of them.

billy336

Just about everything I tried didn't work. The only cure was Duke's dog proof coon traps. Now those things worked well. Can of sardines would set at least 3 of them.

I use these as well, dry cat food for bait, seafood flavored. February is the month to thin coons, right before the turkeys nest.

bany

Mix some chopped habanero and you’ll be set

frankwright

Vaseline,Tack Strips and Pepper sauce did not even slow the coons down.
Dukes traps with a marshmallow up under the trigger has been very effective.

billy336

:bounce:TOO many ants down here for marshmallows. They are my preferred bait. Got 32 off the farm plus 5 possum. 10 traps over 8 nights, still have half the farm to work. Setting feeders and ditch crossings. Happy buzzards

frankwright

:bounce:TOO many ants down here for marshmallows. They are my preferred bait. Got 32 off the farm plus 5 possum. 10 traps over 8 nights, still have half the farm to work. Setting feeders and ditch crossings. Happy buzzards

Someone told me his best bait was Trix cereal!

rosewood

I went with sardines because I figured the coons could smell it further away. Caught one just about every night I had it out. Did catch a few 'possums too.

billy336

When I first started about 6 years ago, my go to was a cotton ball doused with cod liver oil. It worked very well but it was messy and the oil got expensive. Hard to get the smell off of your hands as well. They can’t resist a fishy smell