How far West

thumper523

How far towards NW Ga would you expect to find bears? I see where the northern zone goes all the way to Carrollton.
Are there bears at Berry WMA in Rome? Curious because buddy in Polk County has a good sized one on trail camera and it has busted up a feeder too.

Killer Kyle

Bears do definitely occur that far west, and to a degree, that far south. Not in extraordinary numbers, but they definitely can be found there. That area is the outer peripheral of their northern range in the state. If you look at places like FDR State Park around Pine Mountain, you can easily assume bears are there. That ridge and valley terrain, along with the abundance of oaks and creeks provides very suitable habitat for bears. In my guestimation, this will become a very densely populated area with bears over the next decade. It provides bears lots of room to roam, scarce human interference, lots of food, water, and cover. As the bear population begins to grow and expand, we can expect lots more bear occurances in the decade to come. It won't be long until neighboring counties are open to bear season in that region. Mark my words!!