Fun little snake... what was it

The Rodney

The neighbor went to screaming.... this little guy was in the garden hose bucket. Safely relocated to my backyard. Beautiful creature.... anyone know what?

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,134

oldfella1962

Cute little guy. Speaking of snakes what are those snakes that lay still and flatten themselves out like they got stepped on to fool predators? Hog nosed snakes maybe?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Cute little guy. Speaking of snakes what are those snakes that lay still and flatten themselves out like they got stepped on to fool predators? Hog nosed snakes maybe?

Those are hognosed snakes. We call em spreadin` adders. The one in the original post is a juvenile gray rat snake (oak snake). Pattern is different on a juvenile black racer.

Hoot

Pretty little thing there. It would become docile pretty quickly, with some handling.

Big ones will bite the snot out of you right quick-like, though. But only if cornered. I got right up in the face of a 5-footer once, to take pictures. Because I didn't make it feel cornered, it didn't become defensive, and just kept cruising.

rvick

grey rat snake, also called an oak snake

...x2..., the hognose does the same as a water snake. They will flatten their heads to mimic a venomous snake. Part of their defense.

Last edited:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Juvi Black Rat more than likely.

Usually start telling the difference between a grey and black when they hit around 3' or so. Greys are also much more arboreal than blacks.

The Rodney

Great posts friends. I used the opportunity to teach my little ones about 1. Do not handle snakes like dad, 2. We do not need to kill friends like this who eat vermin, 3. Some differences between venomous and non venomous snakes.
Oddly I caught a black rat snake at work yesterday much to the dismay of the ladies.... set him free too.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
That's what a grown one looks like. Relocated 3 from my chicken coop last year. None have shown up this year. Yet

YellowKnife

That's what a grown one looks like. Relocated 3 from my chicken coop last year. None have shown up this year. Yet
x2...caught 3 bout 10 inches long last August and now they are over 3 feet and gettin' blacker every day. Adults can grow to over 6 feet an they can climb like a home-sick angel.