Ramps

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What are ramps?I understand they are wild onions of some type,that grow in the Southern mountains.I've read of them in a Foxfire book once.Are they good?Do they taste similar to onions,garlic,or chives,or leeks?How do you prepare them?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Thanks,secondseason.After reading that I guess the next step would be to come up where they grow, and sample some.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, yeah-ramps are definitely good. They taste kinda like an onion, kinda like garlic, but a lot different from either one, too. They just taste like ramps. And most of us hillbillies are addicted to 'em. They go perfectly with trout, morels, and cornbread.They eat a lot of them up north, too-they just call them "wild leeks" up there instead of ramps.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'll be sure to refer to them as ramps!If there was an easy way around Atlanta,I'd be up your way, a lot.

rongohio

Gone but not forgotten.
Oh, yeah-ramps are definitely good. They taste kinda like an onion, kinda like garlic, but a lot different from either one, too. They just taste like ramps. And most of us hillbillies are addicted to 'em. They go perfectly with trout, morels, and cornbread.They eat a lot of them up north, too-they just call them "wild leeks" up there instead of ramps.

We call them ramps in Ohio. They grow in floodplains and other wet areas. They make me hungry whenever I mow the back field. ;) I have some friends who make an awesome pesto with them.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
rongohio,Thanks for the reply.You know what would be fun?To sit in the shade on a summer day,talk about the war of Yankee aggression, and eat fried ramps with buttermilk biscuits.