Donating Wild Hogs

Bucaramus

I called around to a bunch of food banks and even Hunters for the Hungry and it seems no one will accept wild hog meat. Who could I donate some hogs to? I hate to see the meat go to waste, but after trapping 33 last week and paying the processing on 21 of them (gave 12 away to another guy that processes them for his church) I'm not really in the need of any more meat. I'm going to continue to trap them, but need somewhere for them to go afterwards. Any ideas?

Killer Kyle

I donate most of mine to the Northeast Georgia Homeless Veterans Shelter in Winder (Barrow County). I process my own (but then again I've never killed that many at once!) Your best bet is giving it to churches. I've read on here where a guy that was stationed on Fort Stewart killed over a hundred hogs while there, and he said he used to just drive up to some trailer park near the post, and he was able to give one away every single time.

Many churches have a lists of people in need within the nearby community, and your larger local churches can usually either direct you to a person in need, or can take the meat from you to distribute it.

I had a heck of a time getting rid of the ones I killed this spring. UNTIL, I spent my entire day processing them. Then everyone decided they wanted some. lol

Davexx1

Find a spot you can access easily from long range and create a coyote hunting bait site. Replenish the site as is available. You will have to stake or tie them down as the coyotes will drag them off. Nothing in the woods goes to waste.

roperdoc

Maybe set the traps on the weekend when people are more likely to be free and post up here to let folks know when? Or check with any preserves around you. Hogs can be legally transported to a PERMITTED facility. They may pick them up from you.

Jester896

Senior Clown
probably right..I thought they had to be quarantined where they were caught for 30 days and 2 clean tests before transported or the person with the permit could move them to a quarantined area and 2 free test there...I guess it could be an agent of the holder.

I couldnt even imagine trapping that many hogs... If you dont mind me asking, just out of curiousity, how much land do you own/lease that you hunt to trap that many hogs?

florida boy

I have 4 tracts in Ga and 5 tracts in Fl . I have hogs on every single one of them . I trap and shoot over a 100 per year . It is a never ending battle ..........to me they are just over sized rats..... One particular " Pay to Hog hunt " place backs up to one of my better deer tracts in Clay county and they dump them faster than I can trap them.

Bucaramus

I have 4 tracts in Ga and 5 tracts in Fl . I have hogs on every single one of them . I trap and shoot over a 100 per year . It is a never ending battle ..........to me they are just over sized rats..... One particular " Pay to Hog hunt " place backs up to one of my better deer tracts in Clay county and they dump them faster than I can trap them.

Isn't it illegal for them to transport and release them?