Best Techniques in Summer

Poor Poor Fisherman

I mostly fish Lanier and I'm sooooo so terrible at drop shot fishing that I've just given up even trying it. And I understand that the drop shot is clearly the most successful technique in the summer!

That being said, what are the best bass lures and techniques other than the drop shot with water temps in the 80's?

Recommendations?

Klag

1oz Flexit spoon. Just vertical jig it through the schools and you can absolutely kill it on the spots and small stripers, and occasional large striper too!

If your sure your over some bigger stripers, switch the 1oz Flexit for a big ol Ben Parker.

Poor Poor Fisherman

Spooning!!

Klaus..... Of course!

Didn't think of the spoon as an alternative to the drop shot but I really should have. Jimbo taught me how to spoon last winter but it should be just as effective in the summer when the fish are so deep.

Thanks!

TroyBoy30

Spoon will work. Don't be afraid to drag a jig or shaky head around as well or even slow roll a fish head

Lanier Jim

A spoon and underspin would be my choice followed by a shakey head fished deep...or I'd go old school and doodle right in brush. You can youtube videos and more info. Doug Youngblood won a few BASS tourneys back in the late 80's-early 90's using this technique including one on Lanier doodling docks in Big Creek if memory is correct..

http://www.iovino.com/

LJ

Last edited:

riprap

Things aren't as easy as they were 25 yrs ago. You could find you a hump, road bed or point and fish it for hours with success. Now you have to put in a lot of time setting out brush and have multiple hole to have a good day in the summer. Most of my good summer time holes are just bare or silted in. I don't think it's as much of a presentation issue as it is location.

Big7

The Oracle
Easy fix for that.

Get a crappie rig and cut all the wires except one.

Live bait works best IMO but your favorite plastic will work too..
And.. The pork or plastic frog chunk will get them too.

Lot of folks think that's a cold water only but it's not.

Something else worth trying would be a flounder rig REAL slow
and look for deep water on a creek and if you have the electronics, try to mark cooler water.

A lot of people that have trouble with a flounder rig is they put the peg on the wrong end. THE PEG GOES ON THE HOOK SIDE..
Not the rod side. That's where you get hung up and not give it it's
due.

And with the drop shot. It took me a while. What helped me most was a longer, stiffer rod.

Good luck!

Scout'nStripers

Don't know if you're a crankbait guy but we've done really well in past summers with the deep diving cranks. You've gotta use the deep diving stuff to get it down where they live but it's an option to keep in mind. Early summer bass like natural shad colors and late summer bass prefer a chartreuse color.

Poor Poor Fisherman

Summer Fishing Help

Ha guys, thank's so much for your great suggestions! They were outstanding insights from a lot of experience and wisdom. It has given me confidence to try some different techniques.

A thread with such insightful help like these responses clearly ilustrate when GON Members are at their best!

Have a wonderful day....