New rifle suggestions, ~$1000 budget

nmurph

I have two 700 ADL's- .06 & .270. Neither will shoot quarter MOA, but both are satisfactory for my shooting skill. I've killed deer past three hundred with the .06. If you decide to upgrade the accuracy, there are more options for the 700 than any other. BTW, it's also the most popular action among the LR shooters.

Robert28

I have two 700 ADL's- .06 & .270. Neither will shoot quarter MOA, but both are satisfactory for my shooting skill. I've killed deer past three hundred with the .06. If you decide to upgrade the accuracy, there are more options for the 700 than any other. BTW, it's also the most popular action among the LR shooters.

The funny thing about the ADL’s is the rifle costs about as much or less than buying a 700 action. As long as mine will shoot 1” groups at 100 with factory ammo I’ll be plenty happy.

FlipKing

I bought a Savage FCP-SR in .308 this past fall and love it. Its very accurate and has lots of great features. Paid $650 and then $300 for a Vortrx Viper.

releehweoj

I guess I just don’t get the advantage of a light rifle in a deer stand as several have recommended here. I find that my go to gun, a 7.5# Remington 700 LTR, is much easier to hold steady for long shots (over 200 yds for me) than a lighter gun. If I’m stalking in the mountains, weight would be more of an issue I guess.

lonewolf247

I’d buy a Weatherby Vanguard for the rifle, and a Meopta scope for your optics, and use DNZ or Talley rings. You could build that package for ~$1000, and have a great rifle with premium optics.

Robert28

I guess I just don’t get the advantage of a light rifle in a deer stand as several have recommended here. I find that my go to gun, a 7.5# Remington 700 LTR, is much easier to hold steady for long shots (over 200 yds for me) than a lighter gun. If I’m stalking in the mountains, weight would be more of an issue I guess.

I’m with you. I don’t have a use for a lightweight hard kicking rifle. I had a lightweight x-bolt 30-06 that lasted one season before I sent it on down the road. It beat me to death. Even my friend who shoots a 300 win mag and he’s 6’1 300 lbs said that x-bolt was a thumper. I like a rifle to be around 7.5 lbs with nothing on it.

bacon6

I also would suggest a Savage rifle and top it with a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 best scope for the buck should be able to get it all for your budget

bacon6

I also would suggest a Savage rifle and top it with a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 best scope for the buck should be able to get it all for your budget

Buckman18

NEWS FLASH!!!

If you're interested in the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, Alexander's in Blairsville has them on sale right now for $699 in an assortment of calibers. You will not find a better deal than this, period.

Mtn lover

Well, nobody even mentioned a lever gun!?
I have a Browning BLR in .308. There's 2 different styles, strait and pistol grip. They're both light and heavy enough.
check out the primary arms scopes. Mines a 4-14 x 44 that is made for .308 and .223. It has a really cool first plane reticle made for ranging. The illuminated reticle has 6 settings. The scope was about $300 with heavy duty one piece rings. My blr is a takedown model but you should find the regular ones from $8-900
I just thought I'd give another choice.
Good luck

Major Wader

I have both the Tikka and the Kimber Hunter. Both fine rifles, but the Kimber is my favorite of the two.

Given that you are on a $1,000 budget, I would say either a used rifle, or a new Ruger American/Savage Axis/TC Compass and the best scope you can find. I would buy a used older Swarovski, Schmidt Bender, or Kahles before I bought a new Leupold. They are simply brighter in low light conditions, and they have lifetime transferable warranties.

If you want a new scope, the the Swarovski z3 starts about $700, or you can buy the Minox and Leica for less. German glass, brighter than Leupold.

I have and like some of the Vortex scopes, but they are not as bright at the edges of legal shooting hours.

Major Wader

Talley mounts work great for hunting rifles also. I prefer the Lightweight, as they mount directly to the rifle instead of a base. Bases like leupold can lead to crooked rings, and are another connection point.

Blackston

Patriot with weaver 350$ total

Aiming at lower bar code at 100yds with 17 dollar a box 150gr core lock SHE POISONOUS !!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 88

Dub

My last three deer rifle combos each came in under $1,000.

* Tikka T3 in 270WSM with a Meopta 4-14x44mm.

* Henry H010 .45/70 with Leupold VX1 1-4x20mm.

* Remington CDL .30'06 with Leupold VX2 3-9x40mm.