Fly fishing with spinning gear

bscrandall

I've found a way to fly fish with a spinning rod using a bubble float. Has anybody ever tried something like this before?

fishndoc

Years back, we used to camp along the Nantahala River. Late in the evening, after the generators had been turned off and the water level dropped, locals would show up and use spinning gear with a plastic float bobber half filled with water (gave weight needed to cast), with dry flys attached on a short leader. They could cast the rig a mile, and the nylon spinning line did not get pulled by the currents as a fly line would, so they got a great dead drift.

It seemed to be an effective way to catch rising trout.
But, as already stated, much of the fun of fly fishing is the casting and landing fish with a fly rod.

The mtn man

It works perfect , but not as much fun, also difficult to fish a bubble rig in a small creek. The splash of the bubble will spook wild trout, it's fine for hatchery stocked dough bellies.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Been "spin nymphing" for many, many years. It works well on natives as well as dough bellies.

The mtn man

Been "spin nymphing" for many, many years. It works well on natives as well as dough bellies.

The stockers sure are fun to catch on fly equipment no matter how it's done, don't you agree?

TroutManJoe

I wrote a feature length article for GON a few years back on this very subject... a search may turn it up. Can't remember if it was published online or only in print.

kirby999

Fishing is fishing as long as it's done legal . As long as you're having fun , go for it !
I've caught a lot warm water fish with the flyrod , but when I go trout fishing I don't feel right without my UL spinning rod in my hand . Kirby

dave21182

Where I'm from, this was an easy way to catch brookies in small mtn lakes...
The pistol pete was the ticket.