where should I start?

Mr Warren

Banned
I am hoping to get back to salt water fishing if my arthritis will let me. I have a 16 ft.Carolina skiff stick steer that I have only used in fresh water. It is strictly a boat for protected water having a pretty flat bottom. I live about equal distance from St. Marys and Keaton beach and I was wondering which would be the best place for me to learn shallow water fishing. I have had a lot of deep salt water experience back when I had my off shore boat, but this inshore stuff will be a new experience for me. I know about tides and getting stranded, but I Have a lot to learn about this kind of fishing.
I have fished in the GOM a little around Panama
city, Fl and enjoy catching the Spanish and the Lady fish and the blue runners - I mostly fish for fun and hardly ever keep anything - but I know that Gulf can get nasty in a hurry so I'm a bit hesitant to go far from shelter with my little boat.
I look at the area around St Marys on Google earth, and see all those little creeks and bays and rivers and it seems like that is probably where I should go.
What do you folks think please.

ssramage

Stick to the creeks and you'll be fine. Fish creek mouths, drop offs, structure, etc. with live shrimp under a cork and you'll catch fish.

doomtrpr_z71

I live the same distance from St marys as I am from steinhatchee, I have fished the ga coast 3 times in the last 4 years. I prefer the flats to our coast especially since I go scalloping every other week during scallop season. I find the ga coast to be less pressured but more work to fish.

Mr Warren

Banned
Good info guys. It sure helps. Thanks for answering!
I drove down to Keaton beach today just to look around and get out of the house and man! What a change since the hurricane. The little restaurant is gone - the boardwalk on the jetty is tore up and closed - the old Sea Hag building is gone. The workmen told me that they just got the grant money today to rebuild the walkway on the jetty.

doomtrpr_z71

The marina was torn down so Foley bros could sell the property to build condos, the hurricane just helped expedite the process.