Skunked again

61BelAir

I took the kayak out to my friend's lake for a couple hours this morning and caught nothing. That's okay because I mostly just wanted to see how far I could go now that the water is up another 6". It's nearly back to the level it was a couple years ago before they started repairing the dam. IF we get the 2-3" of rain over the next few days that's predicted it should start filling on up quick. ::; It's got another 4' 2" left before it's full.
The water is still really clear from the draught, but at the same time it's hard to see far as it is very stained. In fact it's more like coca cola than tea colored. I guess they didn't name it Black Creek for nothing.
I've noticed over the last few years that the fish bite there is kind of odd. There have been a few times when we have caught a mixed bag of species, but most of the time it is only one kind of fish that bites on a day.
Some days only bass are biting....others only jacks. A few times we've caught nothing but a few warmouth. Twice in the last couple years I have caught nothing but crappie while bass fishing there. Today, I had five bites all right at the kayak.....and all were jacks. I had several more follow it all the way in and not bite. All the bites were on flukes also. It's not a seasonal thing, but a day to day happening. I'm very interested in hearing opinions on why this is.

Kestas69

IMO
Pike is top predator. When pike is active, bass and crappie will be hiding, not feeding. When pike is not active, bass has his moment and crappie is the last in the line.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

61BelAir

IMO
Pike is top predator. When pike is active, bass and crappie will be hiding, not feeding. When pike is not active, bass has his moment and crappie is the last in the line.

I agree as they are a killing/eating machine, but for the most part are undersized compared to the bass in this particular lake.

Not holding your mouth right

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's been said numerous times on my boat..:cheers:

You've got that right. :D

Eugene Stinson

rising water fish the bank especially and wood, or bushes getting covered up