Suppressor

SWAMPFOX

I'm thinking of having a NEF single shot youth model rifle in 7mm-08 suppressed for my 10 year old grandson. That way he and his younger brother can use it without the bother of noise, etc. I'm planning to use the Hornady 120 gr. reduced recoil load in it as well.

My question is what effect, if any, will the suppressor have on accuracy out to say 150 yards? They won't be taking any shots longer than that.

Thanks.

wareagle700

They should not have a negative effect on accuracy. Often, people will even see better accuracy with suppressors.

Alan in GA

Point of impact may change between groups shot with and without suppressor. Just sight in WITH suppressor mounted on rifle and have it on when hunting.

pdsniper

You better make sure your standing right next to him every time he shoots it a suppressor is a Class III item and no one under the age of 21 can be in possession of one, don't want you to get in any trouble with the law, Hopefully soon there will be no need to have a permit for one but as of right now its still a NFA item

wareagle700

At 18, one can legally be in possession of a suppressor. You can also purchase a suppressor at age 18, just not from a dealer.

Kanook

Have the gunsmith "recrown" your barrel when they thread it (some do it without asking)

Using the Silencer could/should improve accuracy

Use of a good Silencer will help reduce recoil.

wareagle700 is correct

Dub

I have zero knowledge about suppressors.

I've fired a .22 lr pistol a few years ago that had one. Impressive reduction.

Today I fired a .300blackout AR 7.5" barrel with suppressor. It was too much fun. The owner said the rounds were 150 grain subsonic loads. I'm not sure how effective they'd be in a hunting situation much further than handgun hunting range ?

He also had a .22lr Ruger MkII that was suppressed. It was really cool.

Sure is nice to shoot without hearing protection needed.

That .300blackout made me want one !!

Kanook

I have zero knowledge about suppressors.

Today I fired a .300blackout AR 7.5" barrel with suppressor. It was too much fun. The owner said the rounds were 150 grain subsonic loads. I'm not sure how effective they'd be in a hunting situation much further than handgun hunting range ?

Sure is nice to shoot without hearing protection needed.

That .300blackout made me want one !!
When Hunting with "sub-sonic" ammo, it is VERY important to choose the right ammo and the right spot. Manufactures are catching up with expanding ammo for the Blackout.

There is also a learning curve when choosing a silencer host. Some AR's need to be tweaked a little to work properly. Then you gotta remember that something that is sub-sonic during the summer might not be during the winter. My sub's at 18' above sea level in the upper 90's are not sub's at 1,600' in the low 40's.

deast1988

The wait time is extremely long st the moment. Suppressors are fun as most states a negible amount of impact difference would be seen. But ATF is back logged from what I hear. Around 1 year wait. So get your name on list an id imagine you would be ready by next deer season not this years I'm afraid.

Kanook

The wait time is extremely long st the moment. Suppressors are fun as most states a negible amount of impact difference would be seen. But ATF is back logged from what I hear. Around 1 year wait. So get your name on list an id imagine you would be ready by next deer season not this years I'm afraid.
According to NFA Tracker it's under 9 months http://www.nfatracker.com/

Just remember, The longer you wait the longer it takes

Soybean

The July 2016 rush of applications is kicking in now. Folks trying to get them in before the law change. Silencer Shop is Texas sent in $2 million+ dollars in tax stamp apps alone in July. I imagine it will get worse before it gets better.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 414

champ

What's Your budget for the silencer? And if I may suggest, in lieu of NEF, Bergara has single shots factory threaded that may enhance Your set-up a step above the NEF.

wareagle700

The good thing is there was a drastic drop in sales after July so hopefully the wait times will come back down after they get through the panic.

deast1988

Tracker shows 12months, I have 4 submitted May 28th last year. Still waiting, I believe it'll be soon just closer it gets seems the longer the wait is.

JeffinPTC

FWIW,
My son bought his Silencerco Octane45HD at AR Bunker in Newnan on 29Jun16. Check was cashed 7Jul16, and approved on 12APR17. He picked it up Thursday and we had a blast with very little noise yesterday shooting it on our HK45s.
Ipso Fatso, 9.5 months

SWAMPFOX

I spoke with my local gun dealer here in Jacksonville, FL yesterday and he told me about the wait time and all the bureaucratic hoops that have to cleared so it won't be happening before this year's hunting season.

There was a bright spot. He also told me there's a bill slowly making its way through the Congress and all its committees that will re-classify suppressors to the same level of ownership as a hand gun. Thus eliminating all the hassle.

But the bigger turn of for me regarding a suppressor is the abrogation of my civil rights. According to my gun guy, you forfeit your civil rights as to search and seizure. He said the Feds can come and search your residence and property at any time for the remainder of your life if you sign up to own a suppressor.

Anybody else heard that?

KingTiger

I spoke with my local gun dealer here in Jacksonville, FL yesterday and he told me about the wait time and all the bureaucratic hoops that have to cleared so it won't be happening before this year's hunting season.

There was a bright spot. He also told me there's a bill slowly making its way through the Congress and all its committees that will re-classify suppressors to the same level of ownership as a hand gun. Thus eliminating all the hassle.

But the bigger turn of for me regarding a suppressor is the abrogation of my civil rights. According to my gun guy, you forfeit your civil rights as to search and seizure. He said the Feds can come and search your residence and property at any time for the remainder of your life if you sign up to own a suppressor.

Anybody else heard that?

You need to find a new "gun guy".