!!!HELP!!! Wireless Question !!!HELP!!!

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I've got Bellsouth wireless in both of my places (Two different houses in different cities if that makes any difference) - When I connect both say excellent connection - But, for the past week one of my connections has dropped from the normal 54 Mbps down to anywhere from 2 to 11 Mbps -- The other house is still a consistent 54... Any suggestions as to why I suddenly lost speed on the one connection?

Sargent

This happened to me a while ago...

I called in to report a problem and they said that the equipment in my area was being upgraded and the slowdown should only last a few days.

Sure enough, it was back to normal in a few.

Call and see if this is the same situation. You may have a faulty modem- they should swap it out for you.

Good luck!

huntfish

I have also had similar issue. I unplugged router from wall, counted to 15 and away I went. Also a fix when computer says no conductivity.

LadyGunner

ditto to what huntfish said..

my linksys routers have a mind of their own
I occasionally have to reboot/reset them
I've also replaced one linksys after 2 yrs

merc123

I have also had similar issue. I unplugged router from wall, counted to 15 and away I went. Also a fix when computer says no conductivity.

Alternative solution:

Start, Control Panel, Network Connections
Double click Local Area Network
Click on the "Support" tab
Click Repair

:)

If you still want to do the unplug thing though, you don't have to count to 15. Unplug totally and then plug right back in. Waiting 15 doesn't do anything special.

merc123

I've got Bellsouth wireless in both of my places (Two different houses in different cities if that makes any difference) - When I connect both say excellent connection - But, for the past week one of my connections has dropped from the normal 54 Mbps down to anywhere from 2 to 11 Mbps -- The other house is still a consistent 54... Any suggestions as to why I suddenly lost speed on the one connection?

Is it a wireless network in the house (wireless router plugged into the wall of the home) or is it a wireless outside network which means you have an antenna outside the house?

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Is it a wireless network in the house (wireless router plugged into the wall of the home) or is it a wireless outside network which means you have an antenna outside the house?

Wireless inside the house - I reset the modem and now I can access wireless dsl, and it shows excellent connection and the 54 speed -- But, I can't get it to connect to the innernet (I'm borrowning my neighbors wireless signal right now - I don't think he knows it though :) )

merc123

Turn off modem
Turn off computer
Turn on modem
Count to 60
Turn on computer
Check internet.

On:

Start, Run type "CMD" click OK

Type:

ping localhost
ping 127.0.0.1

ipconfig /all

Look for IP address, Default Gateway and DNS. Type:

ping <ip address> (insert ip address there without the <>)
ping <default gateway>
ping <dns 1>
ping <dns 2>

Tell me where it fails.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Turn off modem
Turn off computer
Turn on modem
Count to 60
Turn on computer
Check internet.

On:

Start, Run type "CMD" click OK

Type:

ping localhost
ping 127.0.0.1

ipconfig /all

Look for IP address, Default Gateway and DNS. Type:

ping <ip address> (insert ip address there without the <>)
ping <default gateway>
ping <dns 1>
ping <dns 2>

Tell me where it fails.

Merc - I did all that, but I'm not smart enough to even tell you what it revealed... Here's where I am now -- I can connect and have a good signal, but I cannot get the "Wireless Network Connetion" to hook up -- It will open, but whenI try to connect to the internet it gives me the error: "This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer..." (I'm still using a "borrowed" connection to even post this :) )

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Whew! 2 hours with tech support -- Gotta' say they were GREAT - Just missed my episode of Prison Break though :) -- Looks like I may have a bad modem that's causing the speed to drop, and was my own worst enemy trying to "reset" the modem and killing all the information that had been set -- Oh well, live-and-lean - Maybe I can be more patient next time and try tech support before pushing a bunch of buttons :bounce: Thanks for the advice though - It's nice to know we've got folks here who will try to help us out in just about anything e get ourselves into :)

bruceg

Tom - the speed being reported by your wireless card is the speed for your wireless connection (connection between your laptop and your wireless router) - not for your Internet connection (speed between your modem and your provider).

The things that will effect your wireless speed is distance of your laptop to your wireless router, any obstructions, and your signal strength.

I get 54 Meg wireless connections when I'm close to my wireless router, but speed drops as distance increases. My laptops with good wireless cards get higher speed connections than my kids laptops with lousy cards.

Resetting your modem will only have a short-term effect on your wireless speed. After renegotiating the wireless connection, your speed can drop (and for my kids laptops, they lose connections - so have to click on View Wireless Networks, disconnect and reconnect to get going again).

Might be nothing wrong between your house and your provider. Might be nothing wrong at your house. Could just be reaching the limits of the signal strength of the antenna on your wireless router.

Have you tried connecting from different locations in your house? You might see a difference when connecting from the same room versus connecting from a different room, upstairs, or out on your deck. Your modem could be fine.

(I ended up swapping out the antennas on my Linksys wireless router - but the signal is still pretty weak at longer distances)