Extended deer season bill?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
You must be from Florida? You're wrong by the way. I've got plenty of say in this State, as does every other resident of this State.

However, you are correct about the golden egg, I don't goose hunt.

Yeah I'm guessing he is a Florida hunter. I always love when they use the saltwater fishing comparison. I could not care less about salt water fishing. They can have it and their midget deer.:huh:

transfixer

Non-residents are not to blame. Lease prices are high because demand among GA hunters is more than enough to drive lease rates up. Timber companies have waiting lists filled mostly with names of GA hunters. Even if every club in GA banned FL and NC hunters said:
This was true a few years ago, not always the case now, a tract of land that was between 400-500 acres that adjoined ours on one side sat vacant for two years. A lot of timberland is being bought up by financial investment groups, Agri-business type companies, that have little to no experience in timberland management. And very little regard for the hunters that have taken care of the land for years. Our current landowner thinks nothing of cutting timber all the way into December, and tells the clubs if they don't like it,, tough !

I'm guessing they are under the impression that someone will pay the prices no matter what they are? And in certain parts of the state that might be true, but not in counties where the population is down because of over hunting. Or in counties where the deer density has never been high to begin with.

hornhunter79

I have 4 kids and we eat deer burger year round not to mention sausage, jerky and cubed steak. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would need to harvest 12 deer unless they are selling deer meet or trying to put a deer in everyone of their relatives freezer.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I have 4 kids and we eat deer burger year round not to mention sausage, jerky and cubed steak. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would need to harvest 12 deer unless they are selling deer meet or trying to put a deer in everyone of their relatives freezer.

Same here. I've always eaten a lot of deer meat and will never understand why anyone needs that many.

Swamprat

Swamprat
There will be a lot more big bucks if the Florida boys don't blast every three, four, and six point they see. I don't know what is unreasonable about that.

QUOTE]

That is got to be the most far reaching statement I have ever seen.

I guess no Georgia resident and I mean no Georgia resident whatsoever is blasting every small buck they see.:huh:

Mexican Squealer

There will be a lot more big bucks if the Florida boys don't blast every three, four, and six point they see. I don't know what is unreasonable about that.

QUOTE]

That is got to be the most far reaching statement I have ever seen.

I guess no Georgia resident and I mean no Georgia resident whatsoever is blasting every small buck they see.:huh:

I'm sure there are plenty of GA folks doing the same thing. I can say that the one time I ran a club on property that borders one of the farms I own, the Fla guys absolutely felt like they had to kill every weekend until they got their limit. It was pathetic but unfortunately, it was legal. One season of that crap was more than enough for me.

hornhunter79

I can't blame someone that spends a butt ton of money to hunt, only to get to go 4 or 5 times a year if he shots a deer so he can take meat home. What kills me is the local guy that leases out land and then subleases the land to out of state hunters. He puts so many people on the list that they have to take turns coming to hunt like a time share. So who is the real villain here? Not fair that the fi boys get the bad wrap.

shdw633

I'll wait while you quote a post of mine arguing for nonresident hunters to pay higher license fees...

Couldn't find it? That's because I didn't say it. I have enough sense to realize that nonresident hunters aren't going anywhere. I just wish they would or could exercise a little self control in terms of how many they kill and and a little discretion when it comes to bucks. There will be a lot more big bucks if the Florida boys don't blast every three, four, and six point they see. I don't know what is unreasonable about that.

Now as for your argument that the solution ultimately lies with the state of Georgia, you are correct. I stated above that it would suit me if we were allowed fewer kills and I wish we would get more stringent in terms of what bucks are legal kills. But I realize these things likely won't happen.

Maybe I should have stated people on this board keep wanting to increase the price and shouldn't have lumped you in with the entire group; however, you are doing the same thing by lumping every Floridian as a brown is down deer shooter bent on destroying Georgia's deer herd and I can tell you that couldn't be farther from the truth as far as all the hunters I know. Most won't hardly shoot a doe now a days and look for 120 plus inch bucks. We year round feed and nurture our herd and are very selective on what gets shot. I also got to say that if we only make up between 13 to 15% of the total hunting population we must be some bad boys to do all the pillaging we seem to be accused of doing, you know stealing all these leases and shooting all these deer. You don't suppose the other 85 to 87% of the remaining hunting population might be a little more to blame for the woes that you bring up?? Just a thought.:huh:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Practically every Florida hunter I know who hunts in Georgia are on clubs with antler restrictions and doe limits.

I hunt family property in Georgia (just my BIL and me) and we have a non binding agreement to try to shoot mature bucks and we do not harvest does. Last doe shot was by me maybe 10-12 years ago.

We might take 1-4 bucks per year. We have other places in Florida to fill a freezer.

I think for Georgia the discussion needs not to be extending a season but lowering bag limits and tweaking the state into several zones based on population and rut times.

hornhunter79

Practically every Florida hunter I know who hunts in Georgia are on clubs with antler restrictions and doe limits.

I hunt family property in Georgia (just my BIL and me) and we have a non binding agreement to try to shoot mature bucks and we do not harvest does. Last doe shot was by me maybe 10-12 years ago.

We might take 1-4 bucks per year. We have other places in Florida to fill a freezer.

I think for Georgia the discussion needs not to be extending a season but lowering bag limits and tweaking the state into several zones based on population and rut times.
Y'all need to kills some does. To many does and you will never see your bucks.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Y'all need to kills some does. To many does and you will never see your bucks.

On this property we see more bucks than does and get more bucks on game cams than does.

That is why we hold off on shooting does. Good problem to have I guess, lots of spikes to 6 points but they get a pass unless it is a mature looking 6 or so with a cruddy rack.

rbsharp

I hunted hard the last two weeks of the season in South Georgia close to the Florida line ,did it because one of my hunt buddies didn't get to go much this year and had no meat ,so I was hoping to help ,I was hunting very low pressured spots and never saw a deer in the daylight, would get pile pictures after dark ,and the bucks antlers were all broke up or falling off and the mature does were all ready starting to show they were toting next year fawns ,just not my kind of hunting I said it's way long enough, go hunt hogs and yotes till turkey season ,that's what I do

shdw633

Oh was that funny to you? Must be in denial.

No denial here, already been stated on this thread that only 13.5% of your states total hunting licenses are out of state hunters but they make up 50% of your states license revenue; so what numbers do you have that shows that Florida needs you more than you need us??

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Maybe I should have stated people on this board keep wanting to increase the price and shouldn't have lumped you in with the entire group; however, you are doing the same thing by lumping every Floridian as a brown is down deer shooter bent on destroying Georgia's deer herd and I can tell you that couldn't be farther from the truth as far as all the hunters I know. Most won't hardly shoot a doe now a days and look for 120 plus inch bucks. We year round feed and nurture our herd and are very selective on what gets shot. I also got to say that if we only make up between 13 to 15% of the total hunting population we must be some bad boys to do all the pillaging we seem to be accused of doing, you know stealing all these leases and shooting all these deer. You don't suppose the other 85 to 87% of the remaining hunting population might be a little more to blame for the woes that you bring up?? Just a thought.:huh:

Well that is good to know. And I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. And I am sure there are Florida hunters that hunt just like you are describing.

I think the issue is the age old problem of a few bad actors giving the rest a bad name. It has been a problem in my area of the state for a while now. Florida hunters come rolling into town like they own the place driving trucks with small armies riding in them pulling trailers with two four wheelers a piece on them and they will be packs of four and five trucks like this per group. They act like they are off hunting elk or something.:huh:. Now none of that hurts anything of course. It's just ridiculous looking.

But they shoot everything they see. They will lease 100acres at some stupid price (money seems to be no object) and there will be fourteen of them hunting there.:eek:. And these guys seem to think we are out of line for not liking their "if it's brown it's down" hunting approach.

There is one particular bunch in this area out of Perry, Fl. You want to talk about a bunch of outlaws? Most of these guys came up here in the early nineties working for International Paper when the mill would have a shutdown. Night hunting, shooting everything that walks, hunting other people's land, shooting the limit and then some. This was all just standard practice for them and still is. One in particular was a co-worker of mine for a while. He was fired because he got caught shining in one of our work trucks.

Now I'm not saying you act like that. I'm not saying g any of your hunting buddies act like that. I'm just explaining that these characters have given all of y'all a bad name.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I can't blame someone that spends a butt ton of money to hunt, only to get to go 4 or 5 times a year if he shots a deer so he can take meat home. What kills me is the local guy that leases out land and then subleases the land to out of state hunters. He puts so many people on the list that they have to take turns coming to hunt like a time share. So who is the real villain here? Not fair that the fi boys get the bad wrap.

Yeah I agree with this.

red neck richie

I couldn't care less if the season is extended...just wish the limit would go back to 2 bucks, 3 does. It's been proven that the common red neck doesn't have enough sense to realize that the state was allowing us to manage things on our own. Bubba gots to kill his limit, after all- its legal.

I take offense to the word common. Mexicant. We are a dying breed, yuppie city slickers are taking over.:D All kidding aside most hunters don't shoot that many but a 12 doe bag limit does give off the perception there are pleny of does.

8pointduck

No denial here, already been stated on this thread that only 13.5% of your states total hunting licenses are out of state hunters but they make up 50% of your states license revenue; so what numbers do you have that shows that Florida needs you more than you need us??

Since that was slated toward someone who was crying about non residence only having to paying 47 dollars to fish in Florida compared to hunting here, well , you do count on us way more than we do you. Think about it. If you can't figure it out, then you really have no clue why you do not pay state income tax.