Save gun boxes?

ryanh487

What do y'all do with your gun boxes? I've always saved mine, but there is starting to become quite a bothersome stack around the house and I'm running out of storage space... anything wrong with cutting off the part of the box that lists the SN and tossing the rest in the trash? I guess I figured if I ever sold any the box would help, but realistically that's not likely to be an issue...

Dr. Strangelove

Having the original box may get you a few dollars more should you ever sell the firearm, but it's going to be a couple of bucks or so, not a fist-full of dollars.

I keep the good, but throw away the bad and the ugly ones.

walkinboss01

I just put them in the attic

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't usually buy guns to resell. I don't keep boxes.

wareagle700

Unless it comes in a hard case I usually toss them. I do keep a few cardboard ones around in case I sell one or have to send it somewhere for work.

Ruger Redhawk

I threw a few way years back , since then I've kept every gun box since. If you go to sell your gun allot of times that brings a little extra. When I get a new handgun I actually wrap the box in newspaper. I'd done that for years. I have 40 yr old boxes that still look like new today.

Permitchaser

I keep my boxes cause that's where I leave the instruction manuals. I would lose them if I pulled them out and set them on my desk

killerv

I save them for pistols only. I believe it helps with them hold their value down the road. Plus I love it when I run across old pistols/revolvers that still have the boxes and all paperwork. In most cases, the folks that think enough of them to keep the boxes take better care of their guns. I recently bought an early MKII pistol and single six, both had original yellow ruger boxes with all paperwork and were in incredible condition.

ryanh487

Well, I buy a hard case for any scoped rifle and keep the manual/etc under the foam in the case, most of my pistols have come with either a soft or hard case, which I do the same with, and my shotguns get soft cases. Any free floating manuals go in a big zip loc bag in the file box in the same folder with all the receipts. Guess I can purge my stack of rifle and shotgun boxes this weekend.

tad1

I recommend keep them unless you are space cramped and plan on working/wearing your guns hard. I haven't ever bought a gun with no intentions to shoot it(collector) but folks do like original boxes especially on collectible, rare, or old guns. I agree there's something sweet about a clean older gun with original box and docs, kind of like stepping back in time to the old hardware counter to pick up a new gun.
JT