Kennels

firewalker78

I am hoping to start a pack of beagles for next season. I will be starting some pens at the end of the season. I am looking for ideas from you more experienced guys. what should I add and avoid what makes life easier. I am on a budget but I don't want to build junk. I plan to have 4-6 beagles and have concrete floor but that is all I know so far, completely going blind on this one.
I found some that aren't being used anymore today and I liked the setup. what do you think??

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_145236_1971143476470.jpg
    IMG_20131213_145236_1971143476470.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_20131213_145224_012-11914641082.jpg
    IMG_20131213_145224_012-11914641082.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 995

specialk

i like the idea of using what you got......you won't regret concrete....my slab is 25 years old and going strong....

grouper throat

I'd use what you have. I like septic systems if your kennel is near your house. Also a 6" PVC pipe cut in half and embedded flush with the concrete is nice to wash the poop out to a septic tank. You can nearly see it in this kennel (it's light green at the base of the house). I went with thicker gauge livestock paneling (used on the right of the gate in the pic) but its more expensive but last forever even with male dogs wizzing on it. Lick-it's are nice until you get a hard freeze and the pipe isn't insulated well.

null_zps32148bac.jpg

firewalker78

I like those grouperthroat. I have a buddy that has said that he will help me set up for a septic system. unfortunately I have not been able to talk the guy out if the ones I have pictured. I have no idea why he won't sell, there hasn't been any dogs in it in years.

tjarr001

Grouper throat. Do you have problems with the dog hair and leaves backing up your ceptic? I have thought of doing mine but have herd a lot of people say it won't last long before you have to have it pumped because the dog hair clogs it. Also do you use a desperate septic than the one for your house or are they tied together?

grouper throat

I do not have one as my kennels are on our farm and nowhere near my house so I don't care if it smells bad. Most of my buddies have them tho and they are all homemade designs but work good.

Some of my buddies do have problems with dog hair in theirs but one uses septic cleaner that seems to keep things functional.
All stand alone systems and not tied into their houses. One of them hasn't had to pump his in 5 years and the one who doesn't use that cleaner has to have his pumped an average of once every 6 years so far. 10-12 dogs total for each.

tjarr001

Oh i see. I misread your post. I'm fixin to build some after I'm don't with this camp blanding hunt next week. Another thing to add would be to but cinder blocks or bricks or a concrete footer between each stall so when you wash the pins out the mess won't go from pen to pen and can build them up high enough so the male dogs can't - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - on them and your wire will last longer.

specialk

my cousin has walkers and bluetick coon hounds as well as a pack of deer and rabbit beagles.....he has a septic tank in his kennel....he found a local guy with a pump truck that comes and pumps his out for 75 bucks.....he does it once a year...the guy can drive his truck to within 10 ft of the tank.....hair and leaves are his worst problem.....i only keep about 6-7 beagles and never really had a need for a tank.....my kennel is far enough away there is no smell normally.....

Latest posts