Dog Drivers- What makes a good one?

Krm944

Im in my 3rd year of dog hunting in VA. We dont have a good forum for dogging in VA and I found you guys and gals.

I have only been a stander, but I have noticed that our success can be attributed to the dog driver. On days that Driver 2 has the dogs, we are not successful.

What makes a good dog driver?

What makes a bad one?

Thanks

ghost8026

What exactly do you mean? You use one pack dogs and each day a different guy walks them?most time here each (driver) has his own pack of dogs that he will cast or walk in the block. ..but huntin here is probably a lot different than there far as terrain...but if walking the dogs the driver will hit ponds, fire breaks,game trails, palmetto patches, and the thickest briars, and swamps that you can imagine tryin to find deer bedded if the dogs stay with him..that's just me kinda guessin what your askin

specialk

Im in my 3rd year of dog hunting in VA. We dont have a good forum for dogging in VA and I found you guys and gals.

I have only been a stander, but I have noticed that our success can be attributed to the dog driver. On days that Driver 2 has the dogs, we are not successful.

What makes a good dog driver?

What makes a bad one?

Thanks

what part of VA do you hunt?.....I hunt some in Halifax and Mecklenburg....

epittman

i've walked my dogs many time it usually does'n take them long and they will jump and be gone. i love it when they jump one and it is close to me.

Krm944

What exactly do you mean? You use one pack dogs and each day a different guy walks them?most time here each (driver) has his own pack of dogs that he will cast or walk in the block. ..but huntin here is probably a lot different than there far as terrain...but if walking the dogs the driver will hit ponds, fire breaks,game trails, palmetto patches, and the thickest briars, and swamps that you can imagine tryin to find deer bedded if the dogs stay with him..that's just me kinda guessin what your askin

Our club has approx 40 dogs. We usually turn 2 drivers with a pack (3-6) each loose on opposing corners of the blocks. The club has 3-4 different guys who will take a pack of dogs into the woods. Usually the two main guys run the dogs. For some reason, when the two substitutes run the dogs, there is a noticeable difference in the hunt.

Are the primary drivers hitting the bush a bit harder? Going through the brush not around it? Are the substitute guys walking the trails, not the thick stuff?

Krm944

i've walked my dogs many time it usually does'n take them long and they will jump and be gone. i love it when they jump one and it is close to me.

I grew up with a Killer Beagle rabbit dog. Took me most of my adult life to realize how amazing this dog was. I would walk to the woods, and he would do all the work! 100% true, no trash, and could pull scent in powder snow in below zero temps!

ghost8026

Yea they may be walkin the trails instead the thicket...our dog owners walk there own dogs at our club most of the time and try getem to the thick stuff or known bedding areas

JpEater

Some folks work harder to get into the thick bedding areas to jump the deer for the dogs. Some folks just take the easy way around the bedding areas. Normally the deer will lay low and let you walk right around them. You can normally tell the guys that take the easy road from the guys that bust the briars to jump the deer. Look at their briar pants they wear. Mine are shredded to pieces because I don't avoid the thick stuff.

DogHunter4Life

we track hunt down here.. when we find a track we turn out our trail dogs and then when they jump we turn out our run dogs to jack the deer back..but that may not be a possibility in the mountains.