Fleas on dogs

poohbear

I have 3 inside dogs Yorkie mixes we keep them inside except to go out and pottie , the wife don’t want to use any of the chemical protectors what can one use to kill or repel fleas , the poor guys scratch all the time

specialk

by chemicals do you mean pills?....i'd ask a vet and follow their advice....my inside dog gets a 3 way for ticks-fleas-heartworms once a month.....

pjciii

I do flea and tick next guard and then heart guard for Heartworm. That makes your flea ad tick first generation problem. They bite them and then they die. Was using trifexus but Chinese were using bad chemicals and dogs were dying. I think it is still out there just reformulated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nexgaurd is the only thing that will work that I've seen. Been giving it to Arlo about 8 years, has never hurt him at all, and haven't seen a single flea or tick on him since. Before, he stayed ate up with them. Any other method, your house is going to be infested with fleas, period. You'll never get rid of them.

poohbear

by chemicals do you mean pills?....i'd ask a vet and follow their advice....my inside dog gets a 3 way for ticks-fleas-heartworms once a month.....
Yes we had a bad experience with a Yorkie that we used the topicals you apply on the back . The dog developed kidney disease and we kept him alive a year longer than vet said he would live but we don’t know for sure but wife always thought it could have been the flea medicine. So she don’t want to use it any more . We wash them in Dawn regularly and it seems to help for awhile but not long. I’ve read about a vinegar and water spray or use coconut oil but haven’t tried yet

Hillbilly stalker

My sister has a Yorkie…….it’s allergic to EVERYTHING. You best treat your yard first and get shed of the fleas, that’s the only way to keep them off your dog. Bronco spray for horses will kill them instantly but won’t repel, dawn will kill them also. Kills the fleas in the yard first tho.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes we had a bad experience with a Yorkie that we used the topicals you apply on the back . The dog developed kidney disease and we kept him alive a year longer than vet said he would live but we don’t know for sure but wife always thought it could have been the flea medicine. So she don’t want to use it any more . We wash them in Dawn regularly and it seems to help for awhile but not long. I’ve read about a vinegar and water spray or use coconut oil but haven’t tried yet
I never had any luck with the topicals. But the oral medication once a month works, and I've never personally heard of it hurting a dog.

Hoss

Been giving our dogs nextgard and heart guard for years. Never had a problem with them. Our daughter works for BI the manufacturer and she lets us know of issues with the medications from them and others.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Get the pills from your vet. You only have to give them during the warm months. It's the only thing that works. And trust me they work 100 percent
Yep. I give them to my dog once a month from April to October.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep. I give them to my dog once a month from April to October.
Same experience as you but we gave the pills from the vet year round to our fiest. Got rid of the issue, the OTC stuff was no help.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I have 3 inside dogs Yorkie mixes we keep them inside except to go out and pottie , the wife don’t want to use any of the chemical protectors what can one use to kill or repel fleas , the poor guys scratch all the time
If you keep them inside except when they go pottie? Treat your yard and get rid of the fleas. I don't treat my dogs with ANYTHING unless we are going down to my lease. I also use this at my camp.

Redbow

When we had Dogs we used Advantix, never had a problem with fleas on our animals.

SarahFair

Has anyone ordered from Canada?