; Son wants Chickens - Page 3 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum
 


GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Pets, Farm Animals and Pets or Animals > Gun Dogs, Pets, Horses and all Animal Talk


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Water Swat's Avatar
Water Swat Water Swat is offline
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gerogia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1 View Post
how many chickens though?
3....
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 AM
RUTTNBUCK's Avatar
RUTTNBUCK RUTTNBUCK is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
I did chickens for 5 years. You can read my posts about it on here. I'm glad the last one was carried off into the night never to be seen again.

All of mine had names therefore they were off limits to eat. I would have and I would have rotated them out. They stopped laying after about 4 years. The feed was cheap I only supplementally fed them since they were free range. They were all very healthy.

With that said, they pooped all over the drive way under my deck and you couldn't keep mulch in the flower beds. I would mow and fix the mulch and the chickens would be right behind kicking it out.

I'm looking forward to not pressure washing my deck, sidewalk and driveway this summer.

I would get and keep more if it was under my terms. I disagreed with naming them and not eating them. They're worthless to me otherwise. I started with 14, 1 rooster who was quickly dispatched after he attacked me.
Just cause they have names don't mean you can't eat them!!

My In-Laws acquired two Black Angus calves...........My wife named them..........."Tender"........and........."Tasty"



They were in fact tender, and tasty!!
__________________
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" ----Soren Kierkegaard
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
I did chickens for 5 years. You can read my posts about it on here. I'm glad the last one was carried off into the night never to be seen again.

All of mine had names therefore they were off limits to eat. I would have and I would have rotated them out. They stopped laying after about 4 years. The feed was cheap I only supplementally fed them since they were free range. They were all very healthy.

With that said, they pooped all over the drive way under my deck and you couldn't keep mulch in the flower beds. I would mow and fix the mulch and the chickens would be right behind kicking it out.

I'm looking forward to not pressure washing my deck, sidewalk and driveway this summer.

I would get and keep more if it was under my terms. I disagreed with naming them and not eating them. They're worthless to me otherwise. I started with 14, 1 rooster who was quickly dispatched after he attacked me.
This is all true,,,, we have 4 that we let free range,,,, good fertilizer though,,,, keeps the bugs down also,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 AM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Our secretary at work has 5 or so chickens. When she leaves in the mornings she opens the door and they free roam the yard and woods. In the evening they all come back to the coop and she shuts the door. I believe that she has only had 1 or 2 over the last 6 years or so that got killed and one was neighbors dog and the other had made a nest and started sitting.
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM
PappyHoel's Avatar
PappyHoel PappyHoel is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Make America Great Again!
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Our secretary at work has 5 or so chickens. When she leaves in the mornings she opens the door and they free roam the yard and woods. In the evening they all come back to the coop and she shuts the door. I believe that she has only had 1 or 2 over the last 6 years or so that got killed and one was neighbors dog and the other had made a nest and started sitting.
That's how mine operated, they would follow me around the yard like a gaggle.
__________________
Democrat -immigrants aren't supposed to work, they're supposed to feed off the system, change the culture, and (whether citizen status or not) Vote away what remains of Bill of Rights/ Constitution.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM
breathe in's Avatar
breathe in breathe in is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: out there
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp1 View Post
We've got predators,,,, but we also have a door on our coop,,,, nothing gonna get in there,,,, it's just been so cold they've stopped laying,,,, tried the light thing,,,, no luck,,,, it's the temps up here,,,, come spring,,,, back to around 8 to 10 per day,,,, 12 birds,,,,

Would also like to say,,,, make sure that you wash the eggs and your hands after handling them,,,, our birds lay the biggest eggs,,,, and good,,,,
I don't have chickens but was told by an old lady that does, if you don't wash the eggs you need not refidgerate and can leave them on the counter for a cpl weeks and they'll be fine? Washing also affects taste?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Nicodemus's Avatar
Nicodemus Nicodemus is offline
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GOD`S Country, Southwest Georgia
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe in View Post
I don't have chickens but was told by an old lady that does, if you don't wash the eggs you need not refidgerate and can leave them on the counter for a cpl weeks and they'll be fine? Washing also affects taste?


That`s true. Some countries don`t wash their eggs for this reason.


Some folks think you need a rooster to have eggs too. You don`t. A rooster will keep order amongst the hens, but with no rooster around an older hen will generally do the same.
__________________
A single shot rifle and the memory of a 3 toe`d dog.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 AM
PappyHoel's Avatar
PappyHoel PappyHoel is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Make America Great Again!
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

True we always left ours on the counter. The factories wash the coating off the egg which helps preserve them. That's why store bought should be refrigerated.
__________________
Democrat -immigrants aren't supposed to work, they're supposed to feed off the system, change the culture, and (whether citizen status or not) Vote away what remains of Bill of Rights/ Constitution.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe in View Post
I don't have chickens but was told by an old lady that does, if you don't wash the eggs you need not refidgerate and can leave them on the counter for a cpl weeks and they'll be fine? Washing also affects taste?
It's more about the chances of disease,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
That`s true. Some countries don`t wash their eggs for this reason.


Some folks think you need a rooster to have eggs too. You don`t. A rooster will keep order amongst the hens, but with no rooster around an older hen will generally do the same.
This right here is definitely true,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

A few pic's of our yardbirds,,,,
Attached Images
     
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
karen936's Avatar
karen936 karen936 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: blue ridge ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
How does the fence hold a charge after dark, without a battery?
The solar unit has a internal battery that charges by the sunlight
__________________
I try to stay away from that serious stuff. Proud recipient of the OABA and the Buckfiddy award.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM
brownhounds's Avatar
brownhounds brownhounds is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Freehome, Sparta
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

nice looking birds.....I don't miss the snow.
__________________
I used to run from the past, but the world got to spinnin so fast......... I run from the future now.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhounds View Post
nice looking birds.....I don't miss the snow.
I hear you,,,, but it is good for the raspberries etc,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 PM
atlashunter's Avatar
atlashunter atlashunter is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harris county
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp1 View Post
I hear you,,,, but it is good for the raspberries etc,,,,
Nice looking chickens! What breed is that?
__________________
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." ~Plutarch
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlashunter View Post
Nice looking chickens! What breed is that?
Brahmas,,,, huge eggs, brown,,,, cold weather birds,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Macongo
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp1 View Post
It's more about the chances of disease,,,,
Have a next door neighbor about 45 years old who is paralyzed from the chest down, some disease he caught from the chickens he had. It started out with cold like symptoms, which he ignored, about a week later he woke up one morning and couldn't move below his chest. My wife went down one day and was talking to him, the medicine to treat it is like 10K a month. He gets a 3 month supply for free but then has to skip 3 months before he gets more. This happened over one year ago and he has gained some feeling in his feet. Doctors say it's 50/50 that he'll ever recover 100%.
__________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 PM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Have a next door neighbor about 45 years old who is paralyzed from the chest down, some disease he caught from the chickens he had. It started out with cold like symptoms, which he ignored, about a week later he woke up one morning and couldn't move below his chest. My wife went down one day and was talking to him, the medicine to treat it is like 10K a month. He gets a 3 month supply for free but then has to skip 3 months before he gets more. This happened over one year ago and he has gained some feeling in his feet. Doctors say it's 50/50 that he'll ever recover 100%.
Wow,,,, sure hope he recovers,,,,
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 AM
caughtinarut's Avatar
caughtinarut caughtinarut is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Close by
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Raines View Post
50 lb bag of laying pellets is less than $10 and that lasts me a month for 5 chickens.
Where do you get it for less than $10? Agrisupply has it for around $12 and that is the cheapest I have seen.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 AM
caughtinarut's Avatar
caughtinarut caughtinarut is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Close by
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Have a next door neighbor about 45 years old who is paralyzed from the chest down, some disease he caught from the chickens he had. It started out with cold like symptoms, which he ignored, about a week later he woke up one morning and couldn't move below his chest. My wife went down one day and was talking to him, the medicine to treat it is like 10K a month. He gets a 3 month supply for free but then has to skip 3 months before he gets more. This happened over one year ago and he has gained some feeling in his feet. Doctors say it's 50/50 that he'll ever recover 100%.
Do you know the name of the disease?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Jeff Raines's Avatar
Jeff Raines Jeff Raines is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinarut View Post
Where do you get it for less than $10? Agrisupply has it for around $12 and that is the cheapest I have seen.
Ladds Farm Supply in Cartersville
__________________
Don't waste today on tomorrow-Hankus FPG 10
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Cmp1's Avatar
Cmp1 Cmp1 is offline
Swamp Yankee
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinarut View Post
Do you know the name of the disease?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/health-...ure-98289.html
__________________
ADSC member,,,, Swamp Yankee,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Macongo
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinarut View Post
Do you know the name of the disease?
I tend to stay away from there since I don't agree on his and his life partners life style. I will try and get down there in the next couple off days and find out.
__________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger