Shore Fishing Techniques

CaptainSolo

I, like many others, am very spoiled these days by having a nice boat to get me to the best fishing areas, but I also live in a place that has a lot of small lakes that you need to fish from shore. Here is a cool article on some techniques for fishing from shore:

http://www.sweetwaterblog.com/blog/2015/6/23/its-a-shore-thing

I don't get to shore fish all that much anymore, but other than the info that was in the article, I also like to have a topwater rod handy. Usually the lakes that I fish from shore have a lot of shoreline cover, so I pretty much stick with one bait all around- a hollow bodied frog! Usually I just use a 7' MH baitcaster with 30 or 50 lb test braid, which I can also use for other techniques, but a simple solid black hollow bodied frog seems to be a killer all around topwater for shore fishing, and I can not only fish it over thick grass, but walk it in open water and around isolated cover.

Even though I'm fishing from shore, another thing I like to use is a mobile mapping app, so I can see the depth contours from where I'm fishing. Sometimes it doesnt help much if there's not many options as far as access, but Ive also been able to bypass a lot of unproductive water by using it and looking for the areas with the most dynamic structure.

What are your favorite ways to fish from shore?

StriperrHunterr

Carolina rigged bream cast out as far as I can get it with a very light drag so they can take it if they want without feeling the weight. Works great for big bass and cats.