What Is Fishing Worth?

bronco611

they are well aware of what revenue is generated through fishing. That is what makes them greedy and want more, an extra 2 dollars or so will not break anyone, and if they want to fish they will still spend it. If a guy spends 4 to 6.5 dollars on one lure they will surely spend 2 dollars over the year. Just plain greed, but they know you will pay even if it was 20 dollars you will pay.

Coenen

they are well aware of what revenue is generated through fishing. That is what makes them greedy and want more, an extra 2 dollars or so will not break anyone, and if they want to fish they will still spend it. If a guy spends 4 to 6.5 dollars on one lure they will surely spend 2 dollars over the year. Just plain greed, but they know you will pay even if it was 20 dollars you will pay.
The price of a license has been the same for as long as I can remember; meanwhile, the purchasing power of a dollar has dropped considerably. Is it greed, or needing more dollars to offer the same services?

Also consider the big survey that they sent out last spring, where I'm sure many anglers and hunters indicated that they one, wanted more services, enforcement, etc. and two, indicated that an increase in fees was acceptable to achieve that end. You can't get something for nothing.

What we need to talk about is that for 1.4mil sportsmen only get in an average of 6.2 days per year in the woods or on the water. Want your money's worth? Get out there more often!

EverGreen1231

The price of a license has been the same for as long as I can remember; meanwhile, the purchasing power of a dollar has dropped considerably. Is it greed, or needing more dollars to offer the same services?

Also consider the big survey that they sent out last spring, where I'm sure many anglers and hunters indicated that they one, wanted more services, enforcement, etc. and two, indicated that an increase in fees was acceptable to achieve that end. You can't get something for nothing.

What we need to talk about is that for 1.4mil sportsmen only get in an average of 6.2 days per year in the woods or on the water. Want your money's worth? Get out there more often!

This^ More costs more.

Jimmy Harris

My point was not about license fees but rather about how easily it is for special interests to buy their way into the legislative process with plans that will benefit them but degrade our natural resources. Case in point the Palmetto pipeline project on the Georgia coast. Very few people want it, including the local landowners and other conservation groups but Palmetto is so big and powerful it's very capable of pushing the enabling legislation through.

Coenen

The key there is media coverage. If you can't raise a stink and keep it going, you're going to lose. In today's society, far too often, if something isn't right in peoples' faces, it may as well not exist.